New Gear for a New DIVER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to be comfortable so the divng is fun, With your size, I am going to go with the majority and tell you a BP/W setup is probably best for you. Regulators are a personal choice, and I would recommend an over balanced as a whole they do breathe easier at depth, now that said, most manufacturers make at least one over balanced regulator. With exceedingly powerful legs, I agree that a split fin would not be your best choice. In a blade, I tend to like short and wide, due to the fact that I frogkick just about all the time, but once again, my choice, my preference, a lot of shops will let you try before you buy, so try a bunch of different fins, Force, Jet, I haven't tried the new ScubaPro Novas yet, but everyone I know who has is really impressed. Computer...I would only recommend that is Nitrox compatible, user changable batteries, and is easy to read underwater. i love my Suunto Cobra, and D4, but as a certified Aqualung technician, I can change the batteries on my own, so they are not the most diver maintainable ones. You have a lot of time to figure out what works best for you, and for open water class... you really only need mask, snorkel and fins and boots. Though with your size, I would recommend finding or having a custom built wetsuit for the open water dives as most rentals aren't available to someone your size.

Atomic Aquatics makes top-notch equipment. I have the frameless mask and the B2 Reg and I am very happy with them. I've used half a dozen masks and several different regs, and the best have been Atomic. When I need gear, I look at Atomic first.

Ron

AWESOME. thanks guys for your input. I'm certainly going to go with a BP/w setup. I have a pretty long torso and barrel chest so this configuration will def be my only true option. Also I'm going to be getting a wetsuit custom made for me. tried one on yesterday at a dive shop. It was 4xl but not made for my body type. It stopped at mid calf and mid forearm and about 6 inch gap around the mid section..i assume those were made for a heavier set pear shaped figure?:D Now, this is my question for wetsuit. How many mm should my suit be? I'm pretty big and go free diving in 65-70 degree water during the winter down here for about 30 min to and hour with no suit and with no problem getting cold. I will mostly be diving in s. Florida and similar areas with warmer water, but, i will eventually be diving deeper waters too, but I can wait later for a dry suit etc...

Last question, now when I take my certification course, Im going to be with a private instructor, do they care what setup I would have being a newbie with diving (BP/w) or do they prefer a newbie to have a simple BC for training... i want to train in what ill be using. What do you think or know?

I think a std. 3 mm would be fine but you may even be able to get by with less. I mostly dive with a 2 mm shortie in the caribbean and never get cold. It does have long sleeves which I like. You may even want them to make you a full suit and a shortie for the different conditions and locations you may be diving.

Be sure to check out Wetwear.

Last question, now when I take my certification course, Im going to be with a private instructor, do they care what setup I would have being a newbie with diving (BP/w) or do they prefer a newbie to have a simple BC for training... i want to train in what ill be using. What do you think or know?

Shouldn't be a problem at all. BP/W is as simple as it gets. And the best thing: you can't go wrong because you can swap/modify as much as you want afterwards. I got a BP/W immediately also, and I'm doing a tech course now, the only thing that I rent is the dual bladder wing and the doubles setup. The rest is ALL familiar, which greatly helps.

If your instructor isn't tied to a shop that pushes Jacket BCD's because that's all they've got, then he surely won't mind. :wink:

how are Apeks products? regs, cylinder valves etc..? Just been browsing a little, Ive read some about them through the search but anyone use them and been satisfied? How do they compare to other top companies? and tanks, what is a quality steel tank, and what size would I need for my size, I'm thinking of just skipping all the gear together and just getting a huge weight belt and 1 spare air. :eyebrow:

thanks again for all your help, I'm soaking up a lot of knowledge from you guys and this forum Rocks:cheers:

how are Apeks products? regs, cylinder valves etc..? Just been browsing a little, Ive read some about them through the search but anyone use them and been satisfied?
There are some real regulator experts on the Scubaboard--unfortunately I'm not one of them. I did buy an Apeks XTX50 for a back-up regulator. I have only used it sparingly, but my impression is good. It is definitely easy-breathing, but any quality regulator will be. I think some Apeks models have become favored among tech divers because they are environmentally sealed, thus resisting free-flow in cold water; because their port placement allows efficient hose routing for both single- and double-tank configurations; because they can be disassembled underwater if need be; and because they don't have titanium in them (which poses at least a theoretical explosion risk with high oxygen mixes). As a brand they have a good reputation for quality.

Last edited:
how are Apeks products? regs, cylinder valves etc..? Just been browsing a little, Ive read some about them through the search but anyone use them and been satisfied? How do they compare to other top companies? and tanks, what is a quality steel tank, and what size would I need for my size, I'm thinking of just skipping all the gear together and just getting a huge weight belt and 1 spare air. :eyebrow:

thanks again for all your help, I'm soaking up a lot of knowledge from you guys and this forum Rocks:cheers:

Apeks makes excellent regulators. You can't go wrong with that choice.... But so do most of the other manufacturers :wink:

You'd have to try really hard to buy a bad regulator these days.... all the major brands range from "just" good to outstanding. Seriously.

These days I often recommend picking the dive shop over the regulator brand. Are the shop personnel helpful, friendly, easy to work with, and provide good info? If you have a shop you really like, buy what they sell.

And have fun!

Best wishes.

Hey guys, just bought my fins, reg, and bp/w today. Going back next week too get the rest of the essentials before I start my class. I purchased the Scubapro Jets XXL..the foot pocket looked enormous but my foot plugged that thing right up! Dive shop said XXL is usually utilized for dry suit applications. tried them out at my pool for a bit, LOVE THEM!

Went with a halcyon Bp/w and an Apeks xtx200 reg w/ Din 1st stage. I just like the fact that this reg is a balanced setup throughout and dry sealed. Less chance for problems. The Halcyon is very comfortable and simple. There are many others with so many bells and whistles, i could only picture myself getting hung up on something.. The Halcyon was simple and well made.

Ive changed my mind with buying a super expensive dive computer for now, with extensive and obsessive forum searching, Ive just heard endless people say they are just expensive time and depth monitors, that people rely on too much instead of the computer in their head (logic and training). I don't know? its a never ending debate. If I do end up getting a computer, I like the suunto Helo2.

My wife got the same setup... I pray to GOD SHE ENJOYS THIS AS MUCH AS ME..I had to take a deep breath and gather myself when I checked out at the register and that's only the start. I think she will, shes been begging me to dive together. Watching her frog kick made me laugh so hard underwater i almost drowned!

Otherwise, that's about it. I thought I would share my gratitude to all of you with your help and input. Lots of wise and nice people here. my wife says Im obsessed with this forum..what gives?

Back
Top Bottom