New Gear for a New DIVER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a newbie and got tons of info from this board. I have the Aeris 5 Oceans BCD and I must say it is awesome. Back inflation rules. The only issue is the lack of pockets (one drop down), which is also an issue with BP/W combos.
My only advise is to not purchase online. Go to your LDS and get advise. If possible go to numerous LDS's to get differing opinions from professionals.
Why not? You just said that you got tons of advice here. There are probably hundreds of dive professionals active on the Scubaboard. What advice does the LDS have a monopoly on? I can see wanting to be sure about fit, for example, but that's not relevant to a lot of the gear, and the good on-line shops will exchange sizes if need be.

yes, im going into my second yr in the nfl. Currently with the dolphins. There are a few on the team that dive and they even said to just buy your stuff now instead of renting everything. its just better that way, they have boats but mostly go out with a DM. My wife has been a water rat her whole life too, so i am more about her saftey and quality equipment than mine! she cant wait to start up..anyway, has anyone used the Atomic T2 titanium regulator? second, I know im going with the zeagle ranger bc now, third, thoughts on a power inflator or octo for a newbie, does it matter? both have pros and cons i guess..and last, split fin or solid fin, ive been told a dozen times by diff people ones better than the other, the DM at a local dive shop said with me having a more powerful kick than most that i would benefit more from a solid fin? my wife is 5'2" 105 but also extremely fit, she would prob like a split fin, i know that with split fins u stay in the slipline of your body but what are your thoughts, also spare air 3 cf wont do jack for a big guy like me in depths but what about pony bottles with reg. honestly, people prob think im getting way ahead of myself but i want to be safe as possible..

Big Daddy......get the T2X for sure! It is the BEST regulator on the market! I had a couple of different Scubapro regs before I got my T2X and as good as the SP regs are, my T2X outshines them.

Also, because of your size, you will probably need a custom wetsuit. There is a company in Florida called Wetwear that will measure you and then custom make your suit. They make a quality product and I now only dive their suits. Here is a link to their site: Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

Hope this helps.

. . . there are so many options to choose from it can drive a guy mad! I think i may try a few different bc's regs, etc..

Trying is better than talking. Some things are a personal choice, while other items are constraints imposed by our physique.

. . . Ive tried on some zeagles, and they fit the best.. anyone used the ranger ltd? . . .

I dive with a Zeagle Stilleto LTD now and my course director uses the Ranger LTD. We are both very happy with them. They are very capable of being customized for fit and features. As I do not need the dual tank feature, I choose not to go to the Ranger. (recall someone earlier mentioning that the best is not always the best choice.)

I plan on eventually diving nitrox, then deeper dives with trimix etc.. I want instruments that will be capable of using the full spectrum of mixes and equipment for deeper depths. I would assume though that by the time I even think about going deep diving, i would want a world of experience under my belt, and by that time i could prob. use an upgrade.

Another thing to consider is that different diving has different needs. I own several pairs of fins. I have ForceFin SD-1 for photography work. I use ForceFin's Foil Force for student work. My ScubaPro fins are my fin of choice for diving certain conditions, while other conditions have me diving with any of my other fins.

I even have two masks. One has a clear skirt and the other has a black skirt. Each have their place.

As your diving changes, your needs will also change. What you buy today should be for today's diving. When you decide to dive something different, go ahead and change the gear to appropriately address your new needs.

Well, you will most likely get a lot of advice about waiting before you purchase. While I believe this is very good advice... I'm sure that's not information you are looking for. I tried many BCD's via rentals and such, but my favorites are the Zeagle Ranger and Zeagle Brigade. Both are jacket type BC's but are similar to BP/W's in the fact that the bladder is back mounted and does not extend around your torso. Has great trim, plenty of d-rings and holds up very well. Hope this helps.

No they are not. All Zeagles are back inflate BCs, as are BP/wings. BP/wings are a subset of the back inflates style, not a separate type. Jacket types have air cells that wrap around the diver and have the air cell integrated into the harness, hence the term “jacket”. Neither the Zeagles nor the BP/wing, as well as many other back inflate brand/models have the wrap around cells. They all have independent rear mounted air cells, some form of back plate and a harness system. Sorry, but that is a pet peeve of mine.
As far as what gear to buy, it’s as much a personal choice as anything. Pretty much any of the mid ranged gear from any of the major manufactures will do most divers. I would not worry about getting gear for more advanced diving (cave, deep…tech diving in general) because you will have to buy more gear for that anyway and most any mid range gear will still work nicely as backup gear. If you intend to dive colder waters then buying a reg suited for cold water operation is a good idea but otherwise leave the “advanced gear” for a later purchase. Finding a brand/model that a local shop sells, services and will assist you with is more important at this point in your diving career than brand or model.

Congrats in starting you venture into diving. I too am a new diver and became certified last year. I suggest like many others on the board that you get a snorkle and some fins and then rent the other needed gear. I say this because when I was in my classes I learned what I liked and disliked about the rental gear and was able to eliminate some of the features along with have a better idea of what I might want in my own gear. I just recently bought all of my own gear and just took it out this past weekend and surprisingly enough it is nothing like the gear I learned in. I would hate for you to buy all of your gear to find out that when you did your first dive that you hated it. Good Luck! :)

... only thing is I'm 6'7 320 lbs football player, so many bc's are limited in fit and comfort. Ive tried on some zeagles, and they fit the best..... I plan on eventually diving nitrox, then deeper dives with trimix etc.....

Hi again Imurtha,

I've highlighted your size and stated interest in eventually moving to "tech" diving.

I'm 6'5", 260lbs. You will probably find that many (most) standard BC's will be too short, which will cause the waist strap to ride too high (just below or in some case across your ribcage). This causes it to press on your diaphragm or ribs, and I found this uncomfortable, and it interferes with / restricts proper breathing. Not good. The waist strap should be well below the ribs, at or around belly button level.

I transitioned to a BP/W, with crotch strap, and this rig is far more comfortable, secure, and will "grow" with your diving (can use double tanks).

With your height, you may need a "long" back plate. I use a "standard" length stainless steel back plate, and simply "shorten" the crotch strap to keep the waist strap at navel-level, but at 6'7" you should probably consider a longer plate. Again, the reason is to make sure the waist strap does not ride up too high and interfere with normal breathing.

If you think you want to go the technical route, look at a BP/W rather than a conventional BC.

Best wishes.

LeadTurn SD,

You are right on the money, I just recently tried on the Zeagle Ranger and LTd again and even fully adjusted is sat high on my stomach.. This wonderful lady on here Kathydee suggested possibly using a BP/w as well simply because of my size and future diving plans. With this setup, is choosing the type of wing and size critical in regards to my size and body weight though? Also, is it similar as a jacket style vest with back inflation (Zeagle ranger) in regards to trim, buoyancy control etc... What is the main reason why people dive with a bc compared to a bp/w? probably preference or more for technical diving.

Anyway, Last is fins, most dive shops ive been too down here do not carry the fins im looking for, F-1, jets, turtles and similar style fin. Ive tried a lot of split fins but my kick is almost to forcefull and they flutter too much not propelling me like i want. plus the control is different.. maybe im just doing it wrong but my huge carbon fins for spearfishing make me fly!

Any other suggestions, throw them out... how about a 18" rambo knife?:D

Back
Top Bottom