New Garmin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The owner of my LDS mentioned the other day that Garmin is coming out with a new dive computer in the fall. It is suppose to be a rec version of their current line. Has anybody else heard this?

if you go to Fantasy Lake during the week you may see the Garmin test divers out there. I would be surprised if they did though, the expensive part is the smart watch portion not the diving portion

According to him it's coming out probably in the fall and not the MK2S and I haven't found anything on the web about it

Garmin loves to endlessly differentiate their products, and I'm a little surprised they haven't done more with their scuba platform already. But I could totally see Garmin creating a cheaper recreational type scuba watch that's a simpler version of the Descent. The dive computer market has a lot of stratification, and Garmin is only competing in the premium portion today. They could potentially offer something cheaper without all of the tech and CCR stuff.

My only question is what kind of fitness platform would they use as the foundation? Is scuba a higher price option for existing platforms (the Forerunner or Venu with scuba) or will it be its own platform (a simplified Descent focused on diving)? Will it have other fitness capabilities at all or just do diving stuff?

The scuba market is pretty small relative to the broader fitness market, so I suspect Garmin would look to cheaply retrofit the single tank dive capabilities onto an existing down-market fitness line rather than create something new from scratch. No idea which line though, and no idea about the branding either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom