New Garmin MK2i T1 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are interesting. I didn’t run into any of those alerts while diving with it. Thanks for the heads up.

Seth

I think some of the alerts come up fast and don’t stay long.

I’ve built a pressure chamber, waiting for one part. I was going to video tape a few dive profiles including deco. Should be interesting and fun to see what comes up on the display. I’ll post it here.

I think some of the alerts come up fast and don’t stay long.

I’ve built a pressure chamber, waiting for one part. I was going to video tape a few dive profiles including deco. Should be interesting and fun to see what comes up on the display. I’ll post it here.

That I definitely want to see. Keep me posted!

Seth

I did get the "Approaching NDL" warning quite a few times on my trip. I didn't find it terribly useful but after the previous poster's explanation of how it works I now understand why. I'll probably find a way to disable that.

I also would get alerts that I never got to see. I think what was happening was I would brush the screen with my other arm as I was bringing it up to read it, which I think cleared the alert off the screen. That is a design flaw IMO and you should be able to have a setting that keeps the alerts active even if the touchscreen is tapped. I'm sure turning off the double-tap screen option would prevent it, but I want the best of both worlds! I'm guessing the majority of these unseen alerts were brief ascent rate warnings.

Mine was about 100 psi off and their transmitter annoying to them was over 170 out compared to the digital… tank 1500 psi. So now I understand a little more clearly why we surface with 500 psi. Gauges may be out by 250. Unbelievable. My two SPG and Atomic digital read the same but apparently none of them are accurate.
I am surprised more people do not realize that they can be off by a fair amount. Actually they can be off by more depending on what type/brand/life/abuse ect..

With my Garmin and a Teric and they are within 30 psi of each other. My other spgs are about a 100-150psi higher than the Teric and Garmin.

While I do not see 100psi off as an abnormal issue, if Garmin states 70psi or less I would have them replace it as well:wink:

So, I dive an Oceanic VT3 and a Shearwater Teric off the same PPS transmitter. The two computers always display the same cylinder pressure. I assume it is the transmitter that tells the computer(s) what the pressure is. I dive a SPG also, it displays a slightly higher pressure than the two computers, something like 50-75 psi. I wonder if the transmitters are "calibrated" at the factory before they are sent out?

I will test this next time I go down to Florida. I have 2 other PPS transmitters and can check what pressures they give when linked to one or the other of my computers compared to the transmitter I always use. I have other SPGs and a cylinder pressure checker, perhaps I'll include those in the experiment.

So, I dive an Oceanic VT3 and a Shearwater Teric off the same PPS transmitter. The two computers always display the same cylinder pressure. I assume it is the transmitter that tells the computer(s) what the pressure is.

Interesting thought.

For instance the screens that pop-up when you get to reserve pressure, critical low pressure. I wasn’t sure what was gonna happen or what the messages would look like, didn’t find any settings other than reserve pressure.
Screenshots would be a good addition to the manual. But the manual does state what colors and what the warnings will say/do and it seems to be still quite descriptive. Hit reserve pressure "The tank pressure value turns yellow. The paired dive computer vibrates and plays a warning tone."

I do think after it gives a warning it would be nice to make use of ATR again.

My only complaint was the sonar chirping when the transmitter was mounted on the regulator behind my head, even when set to the lowest power setting. But a quick trip to a dive shop for a short HP hose fixed that for the rest of the trip.
Oh...the chirp fun times! Luckily the low helped a lot for me.

If I had an "only" complaint about the computer is that i cant put the compass on any screen. But I guess that it does have other navigation features that makes navigation simple for anyone with 90 L/90 R and reciprocal.....well most anyone...

If it is anything like the Mk1, you'll get a really dumb alert "Approaching NDL". Seems like a good idea, right? Only it has nothing to do with actually approaching NDL and is only displayed when tissue saturation hits 80%. I've received it when my NDL was over 40 minutes! Plus, it will only ever display once for the dive and never again - even when your NDL gets to 1 minute.
Still at 80%
So, I dive an Oceanic VT3 and a Shearwater Teric off the same PPS transmitter. The two computers always display the same cylinder pressure. I assume it is the transmitter that tells the computer(s) what the pressure is.

Yes it would send the data to any available and/or bound rx just as any regular tx would.

I dive a SPG also, it displays a slightly higher pressure than the two computers, something like 50-75 psi. I wonder if the transmitters are "calibrated" at the factory before they are sent out?

I will test this next time I go down to Florida. I have 2 other PPS transmitters and can check what pressures they give when linked to one or the other of my computers compared to the transmitter I always use. I have other SPGs and a cylinder pressure checker, perhaps I'll include those in the experiment.
Not sure about the older PPS tx's but from what I have read the full scale accuracy of the new Swift is 5%.

I have 3 PPS transmitters and 3 SPGs (3 reg sets). I did a comparison between all three which I'll dig out when I get a chance. They were all pretty close (only 2-3 bar difference if I remember correctly).

I found the data.

I have 3 reg sets which I call Main, Pony, and Backup. Each has an Oceanic branded PPS transmitter and an SPG.

I first tested the transmitter and SPG for each reg on different tanks with different pressures to compare each transmitter to the SPG on the same regs. Note that these are analog SPGs and so precision is not high due to the potential for parallax errors, etc. All values are in Bar:

Main

Tx: 301
SPG: 300

Tx: 232
SPG: 232

Tx: 16
SPG: 15

Backup

Tx: 299
SPG: 305

Tx: 231
SPG: 235

Pony

Tx: 232
SPG: 237

Next I moved the transmitters so I'd have two transmitters on the same first stage to compare them.

Main Tx: 16
Pony Tx: 16

Main Tx: 231
Pony Tx: 232

Main Tx: 300
Pony Tx: 301

Main Tx: 299
Backup Tx: 300

Main Tx: 229
Backup Tx: 230

Main Tx: 16
Backup Tx: 16

As you can see, in most cases they are very close to each other.

Back
Top Bottom