New Garmin MK2i T1 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wanted to report: I've had similar issues with my Garmin Descent T1 transmitter. Garmin are currently in the process of organising a replacement.

The Garmin transmitter seemed fine from when I purchased it (Feb 21) to when I had to stop diving due to COVID lockdowns (May 21). When I returned to diving (Oct 21) I found that it was giving readings 18 to 40 bar below multiple analog SPGs and my Shearwater transmitter. I could see in my logs that my dives were all starting at 185 bar to 195 bar where they would previously start around 210 to 220 depending on the fill.

* The battery was still listed as "Good" in the Dive Settings on the watch, and when I removed it my multimeter still showed 3.04V. Changing to a fresh battery did not help.

* Changing from direct attachment to the first stage regulator to a 6" high pressure hose (with the supplied spool) did not help.

* There had been alerts on my watch prompting me to upgrade the firmware around the same time. It is currently on SW Ver 2.60 and that is apparently the latest.

I think there was mention of a "hard reset" procedure earlier in the thread -- is anyone able to provide details of that, if it's not as simple as removing and replacing the battery? Garmin didn't ask me to try anything of the sort, they accepted my photo evidence of transmitter reading vs. SPG in multiple scenarios, that the battery was still reported "good", that changing the battery didn't help, etc.

Just waiting on them to tell me where to send the old unit for replacement.

Just wanted to report: I've had similar issues with my Garmin Descent T1 transmitter. Garmin are currently in the process of organising a replacement.

The Garmin transmitter seemed fine from when I purchased it (Feb 21) to when I had to stop diving due to COVID lockdowns (May 21). When I returned to diving (Oct 21) I found that it was giving readings 18 to 40 bar below multiple analog SPGs and my Shearwater transmitter. I could see in my logs that my dives were all starting at 185 bar to 195 bar where they would previously start around 210 to 220 depending on the fill.

* The battery was still listed as "Good" in the Dive Settings on the watch, and when I removed it my multimeter still showed 3.04V. Changing to a fresh battery did not help.

* Changing from direct attachment to the first stage regulator to a 6" high pressure hose (with the supplied spool) did not help.

* There had been alerts on my watch prompting me to upgrade the firmware around the same time. It is currently on SW Ver 2.60 and that is apparently the latest.

I think there was mention of a "hard reset" procedure earlier in the thread -- is anyone able to provide details of that, if it's not as simple as removing and replacing the battery? Garmin didn't ask me to try anything of the sort, they accepted my photo evidence of transmitter reading vs. SPG in multiple scenarios, that the battery was still reported "good", that changing the battery didn't help, etc.

Welcome to the club, I have now 3 T1s. First one is broken (not working UW), second one is working but like yours, has wrong reading and was replaced. Garmin never asked old units back. I read somewhere that someone reported they have drained the battery so device was sitting without power for a while and when its got a fresh battery pressure readings were off. Did you happen to keep the unit without battery for a while?
Unfortunately we will keep guessing until there is an official statement from manufacturer about what is wrong.

Reviving thread, did you ever get the info on the "Hard Reset"?

Reviving thread, did you ever get the info on the "Hard Reset"?
Hi guys, hi CrowBar,

thanks for this thread which helped me a lot with my issue - the same issue you guys all have/had with the T1. In my case the deviation is about 15-18 bars, so quite a lot. Opened a case with Garmin and received the hard reset instructions I‘d like to share with you:

* Take the battery out of the T1, flip around and insert the wrong way round
* hold lid closed (I actually screwed mine in a little bit so I was sure it had contact) and keep closed for 30 seconds
* take out battery and wait for 5 minutes before reinserting

Sounds like voodoo, didn‘t help in my case.
But Garmin confirmed my T1 is from a batch that can have this issue, a replacement is ongoing.

I really appreciate Garmin after sales because things can go wrong but the question is how you handle it. And Garmin does that very well without making things extra complicated for the customers.
Hence a bad experience is turned into a good one. (Well, I hope that the new T1 works ;-)

Looking forward to the MK3 !
Best,

Martin.

Back
Top Bottom