New Garmin MK2i T1 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who's to say the digital gauge is the more accurate of all the ones you checked? Just because it's digital didn't mean it's accurate.

A digital gauge, no matter what it is measuring (pressure, weight, flow, gas) is always a sensor that outputs an analog signal (a variable voltage, resistance or current, or a physical mechanism that in turn generates a variable voltage, resistance or current) which is then converted into a digital signal.

In the case of a transmitter, that digital signal is converted into a radio or sonar signal. In the case of a digital shop gauge, the signal is converted to a numeric value and displayed on the LCD.

The accuracy comes to quality of design and engineering, calibration and tolerances - for both digital and analog.

Much like for your car, with diving the expense of engineering, building and calibrating an SPG or transmitter to be highly accurate outweighs the benefit.

As you said, it doesn't really matter what your turn pressure is. It matters what percentage it is from where you started.
Agree with you. The gauge I ordered will be calibrated, when I was setting up the watch I had an issue and called Garmin to help resolve, they showed me how to do a hard rest which cleared the issue, I did ask them about their transmitter accuracy they said +/- 70 psi.

With a digital pressure transducer accuracy .25% FS, compared the Garmin Ti was off by less than 1 psi at 1717 psi.

Adding my anecdotal experience, I just completed my first dive trip of 30 dives with a new mk2i / t1, and it was always within ~20 psi of the reading from my trusty old Oceanic VT3.

Agree that if your transmitter is that far off, Garmin needs to be replacing it for free.

Adding my anecdotal experience, I just completed my first dive trip of 30 dives with a new mk2i / t1, and it was always within ~20 psi of the reading from my trusty old Oceanic VT3.

Agree that if your transmitter is that far off, Garmin needs to be replacing it for free.
My LDS did replace.😁

One thing that’s sort of disappointing… the manual doesn’t show all the alerts and dive screen messages that come up during a dive profile.

Sorry to hear about you having this issue. My wife and I both purchased the Mk2i/T1 and dove it 22 times in Bonaire. It's been nothing short of amazing. We've been using it for everything under the sun since the day we purchased it- running, mountain biking, kayaking, hitting the gym, hell we even used the pulse ox when we had covid lol.

Joking aside, we haven't had any issues with the T1 reading different but I also didn't expect 100% reliability. For us, it's more of a convenience. It was always just about spot on with our spg.

Seth

Problem is fixed with a replacement transmitter. Don’t get me wrong I love this watch and all its functions… diving and sports and use it for both. I would’ve just liked to have seen the screenshots of the alerts and messages in the manual before I went on a dive. They’re all there intuitively and automatically you don’t have to do much… it is truly an amazing dive watch.

Problem is fixed with a replacement transmitter. Don’t get me wrong I love this watch and all its functions… diving and sports and use it for both. I would’ve just liked to have seen the screenshots of the alerts and messages in the manual before I went on a dive. They’re all there intuitively and automatically you don’t have to do much… it is truly an amazing dive watch.
If I may, what alerts did you encounter? We didn't encounter any alerts during our trip, but you've peaked my curiosity.

Seth

For instance the screens that pop-up when you get to reserve pressure, critical low pressure. I wasn’t sure what was gonna happen or what the messages would look like, didn’t find any settings other than reserve pressure.

You're right, some kind of walkthrough on the various alerts would be nice. Instead it was kind of a 'learn as you go' thing. You can easily change all those warning settings in the dive and transmitter settings though. My only real issue was that I 'went into deco' on a dive with it, since by default the watch is way more conservative than what I had my VT3 set to. I let the deco status clear so it wouldn't lock me out and adjusted the conservative setting afterward. But I can see that catching somebody off guard.

Didn't really have any other issues with it. It's really easy to set nitrox O2 percentage, adjust tank volume, etc. About halfway through my trip I switched over to using the mk2i as primary and the VT3 is now my backup. I really like this computer. My only complaint was the sonar chirping when the transmitter was mounted on the regulator behind my head, even when set to the lowest power setting. But a quick trip to a dive shop for a short HP hose fixed that for the rest of the trip.

If it is anything like the Mk1, you'll get a really dumb alert "Approaching NDL". Seems like a good idea, right? Only it has nothing to do with actually approaching NDL and is only displayed when tissue saturation hits 80%. I've received it when my NDL was over 40 minutes! Plus, it will only ever display once for the dive and never again - even when your NDL gets to 1 minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom