New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several SPG’s, they all stay in the shop though.
Exactly. I actually just picked up a couple more transmitters for my daughters’ gear. Their SPGs will be removed from the regs and added to the spare SPG bag. I'll likely bring one with me on the boat, though.

Apart from when I use a regulator that I don't own, I haven't taken an SPG with me on a dive in a long time.

Well, since it's a pretty important piece of kit, I'm really surprised you have not installed it already. I personally would not.
I agree that knowing your tank pressure is pretty important. A SPG on a hose is one way to do that. Meanwhile, my AI has been working for a decade, roughly a thousand plus dives, with zero issues.

I agree that knowing your tank pressure is pretty important. A SPG on a hose is one way to do that. Meanwhile, my AI has been working for a decade, roughly a thousand plus dives, with zero issues.
I've been using AI for 20 years, nearly 2100 dives, I have used my SPG on 12 dives, glad I had it.

Interesting option they released. I was actually on the look out for a fitness watch I could take diving to track my heart rate etc (both above and below water). It's the one thing my Teric doesn't do. Of course I will still use my Teric as the primary computer - vastly superior specifically for diving.

The battery also seems a step down from the MK2s, not sure how/if the solar feature makes up for this.

Interesting option they released. I was actually on the look out for a fitness watch I could take diving to track my heart rate etc (both above and below water). It's the one thing my Teric doesn't do. Of course I will still use my Teric as the primary computer - vastly superior specifically for diving.

The battery also seems a step down from the MK2s, not sure how/if the solar feature makes up for this.
Not sure about Garmin, but every time I try a "solar powered" small device, it technically works, but takes forever. There just isn't enough surface area to collect.

Not sure about Garmin, but every time I try a "solar powered" small device, it technically works, but takes forever. There just isn't enough surface area to collect.
I've had good luck with Citizen Ecodrive solar (analog) watches. Not sure how the power consumption compares.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom