New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
No AI, no point.
I thought I wanted AI but demo’d a Teric and realized wasn’t needed. Solar charging on the other hand, that provides some serious value.

And a Solar version:
Another entry in the "affordable-ish" ZHL-16C + GF category.

I guess for some people it might be an interesting alternative to a Shearwater Peregrine with a smaller form factor (pro?) and monochrome display (con?).

I don't know how much Garmin is discounted from MSRP, that might make a difference.

I thought I wanted AI but demo’d a Teric and realized wasn’t needed. Solar charging on the other hand, that provides some serious value.
I have the new Garmin Fenix 7x Solar Saphire. The solar is nice in theory, you need to leave it in direct sunlight for a day just to see the battery jump a few %. Good thing is when it overheats it shuts down for its protection 1st.

Looks like they just beefed up the Garmin Instinct to meet diving spec.

At a first look it seems to be better than the Peregrine: it manages Trimix and has CCR function. From diving perspective it has same capabilities of the Mk2.

When I dive OC I use a Perdix as primary and an Mk2 as backup. I would consider the G1 as a valid alternative for almost half price of the Mk2.

No AI, no point.
Might be decent as a backup. I do see some benefit, though it does have some drawbacks. Monochrome screen is another one.

However, if you are looking for an activity/smart watch and also dive this seems to be an affordable alternative. Let's face it. As much as I love AI, and don't see myself getting a primary computer without AI, having a backup with AI is probably not as important. After all, the main function would be to get through the planned dives of the day with the backup. I could be bothered to use non-AI for a bit.

This looks great.
When there comes a time for me to swap my running watch and/or my dive computer dies, this is a great alternative. I wish there are more watches like this. Fairly affordable, and usable outside of the water too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom