New Fins.

Which find do you Perfer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asmfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys. I find that my legs always feel lower then my body. Some people recommend switching to a BP/W but in the mean time I’m looking at new fins. Something positively buoyant since a BP/W is just not in the budget right now. I am looking between the Deep 6 Eddy’s and the Apeks RK3. I can’t find any thread comparing the 2 and seem to only find good reviews on both.

Thanks again.

I don't know how many folks you are going to find that have actually used both, but expect a lot of single item feedback.

RK3 are my drysuit fins, and I am happy with them. They are not positively buoyant, at least not in fresh water, but they are only slightly negative. I think the fin itself is positive, but when the coiled spring strap is added they go slightly negative.

Also, the newer RK3 HD is denser, stiffer, and heavier. I don't how negative those are, but certainly more than the standard RK3.

If you can get your hands on a pair of Aqualung Rocket II to try you might find those are positive, if that is important to you. I believe it is the same fin blade as the RK3, but without the spring strap. One less sizing choice though.
Rocket II

I love my Deep 6 Eddy fins and recommend them all the time, but it might be the case that there's more going on here. Assuming your posture is good and you're not just dropping your legs, you might be able to move some weight higher. Just getting your feet up and forward will help with that. OTOH, if you're not feeling a little tension in your butt and your body isn't basically straight from shoulders to knees, it's a posture issue. Some video by a buddy would be helpful to see.

What type of diving do you do? Hollis F1's are my preference for drysuit diving, it takes a lot of 'push' to move my bulk through the water.

Warm water, either Hollis F2's or (gasp) Apollo Biofins. As for $$, with a little looking you should be able to get a lightly-used BP/W for warm water for significantly <$200

I can't comment on the Apeks, but I can talk about my Deep6 fins. I was on a 2 week trip and was feet heavy with my Hollis F1's. A fellow driver saw this and let me try his fin's, they were Deep6 Eddy's. I loved them, they pulled my feet up ever so slightly and improved my trim.
That diver was generous enough to switch fins for the week, and ended up gifting me his fins when he left after the first week...

I'm not advocating for a gear solution to solve a technique problem, but in this case that's exactly what happened to me...

All and all I love my Deep6 Eddy's...

I checked out a set of Deep 6 fins recently. They seemed much lighter than my Apeks RK3’s.

The only reason I bought my RK3’s is that I was on vacation when my last set of fins failed and I needed fins that day, so Deep 6 wasn’t an option.

Looking around...I have seen more positive reviews on Deep 6 fins than the RK3’s. I will say that the RK3’s seem to be well made though (they’d better hold up for a while for ~$150).

I love my Deep 6 Eddy fins and recommend them all the time, but it might be the case that there's more going on here. Assuming your posture is good and you're not just dropping your legs, you might be able to move some weight higher. Just getting your feet up and forward will help with that. OTOH, if you're not feeling a little tension in your butt and your body isn't basically straight from shoulders to knees, it's a posture issue. Some video by a buddy would be helpful to see.

That photo is mostly rental gear. I normally use a weight integrated BCD. But that’s not a bad idea asking a friend to get some
Video. I’m going mostly off how I am feeling in the water.

What type of diving do you do? Hollis F1's are my preference for drysuit diving, it takes a lot of 'push' to move my bulk through the water.

Warm water, either Hollis F2's or (gasp) Apollo Biofins. As for $$, with a little looking you should be able to get a lightly-used BP/W for warm water for significantly <$200

I used to just do destination dives. But I have just started diving in my local area so I picked up a dry suit last season. Up here it’s. A Lot of wreck diving in the 100 ft range

Yea I’m always keeping my eyes open for a good deal. But Unfortunately I don’t know enough about them that I even know what I’m looking for in a BP/W

The Apex RX3 is quite good though I prefer to use something else if there's too much current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom