New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virginia class fast attack submarines are named for states.
Right, the the Tridents were also named after states, the 688's ( Los Angles class) were named for cities. The Seawolf of which there are only 3, the 1st was named for the Seawolf fish the 2nd for the state of CT and the 3rd for Jimmy Carter so there's no telling what names will be used. The name Seawolf has been used for several subs in the past I think the 2nd nuke sub after the Nautilus was a Seawolf.

I am not surprised with the lack of detail, but I am curious what happened and more importantly, is the submarine repairable?

I am not surprised with the lack of detail, but I am curious what happened and more importantly, is the submarine repairable?

Most recent report I've seen - This Is Our First Look At The USS Connecticut After Its Underwater Collision

Doesn't appear to be any visible damage, but hard to say for certain from a grainy sat pic. Certainly doesn't look nearly as bad as USS San Francisco (SSN-711) did back in 2005 after plowing into a seamount at high speed; the fact that the boat is in the water as opposed to drydock would seem to be a positive sign.

Most recent report I've seen - This Is Our First Look At The USS Connecticut After Its Underwater Collision

Doesn't appear to be any visible damage, but hard to say for certain from a grainy sat pic. Certainly doesn't look nearly as bad as USS San Francisco (SSN-711) did back in 2005 after plowing into a seamount at high speed; the fact that the boat is in the water as opposed to drydock would seem to be a positive sign.

I saw the San Fran when it went into drydock....

It was f_##>= up

Considering the Seawolf class is the best attack sub we have, I am hoping that she is repaired and returned to service. And that our adversaries didn't get any information on it.

They are probably taking hull scraping trying to figure what country`s sub paint was left. Also going over sonar recordings to find out why nothing was heard before the hit. Or it could be a matter of playing chicken, like back in the day, and are now waiting to hear about the other participant.

They brought the boat back, that's the job, the rest are details.

Considering the Seawolf class is the best attack sub we have, I am hoping that she is repaired and returned to service. And that our adversaries didn't get any information on it.
The Connecticut is one of the “special” subs. Think Pargo.

The Connecticut is one of the “special” subs. Think Pargo.

But not on a level with Halibut. Parche, and Jimmy Carter, the new replacement.

What are you smoking.

We used to call all three the never sails they were always broke. When they did manage to go out extremely noisy.

Why do you think only 3 were made then the Virginia class came out.

Back
Top Bottom