New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was present at the commissioning ceremony for the USS Detroit and USS Little Rock about a year later. We were given private tours and I can say that the Chief Engineer on the Detroit was not happy with her performance. In fact, she did not make it out of the St Lawrence before the ice came in.

View attachment 688200
Here she is passing through Marine City 30 miles north of her namesake city.
Unsurprisingly, both Detroit and Little Rock are scheduled to be decommissioned to the inactive reserve fleet next year; they both suffered failures of the combining gear (which was found to be defective across most ships of the class).

Unsurprisingly, both Detroit and Little Rock are scheduled to be decommissioned to the inactive reserve fleet next year; they both suffered failures of the combining gear (which was found to be defective across most ships of the class).
Interesting that I am servicing a Norwegian frigate currently. They have the same combining gear.

Theirs is 30+ years old.

They have had no trouble with theirs.

They don’t perform crashbacks on purpose.

Interesting that I am servicing a Norwegian frigate currently. They have the same combining gear.

Theirs is 30+ years old.

They have had no trouble with theirs.

They don’t perform crashbacks on purpose.
Guessing you're referring to a Skjold-class missile catamaran, as those are listed as having a Renk COGAG plant like the Freedom-class LCS. They're also a fraction of the displacement (listed at 274 tons full load versus 3,500 for a Freedom-class), which maybe also explains the lack of issues (if I recall, in the early concept days something like an enlarged Skjold was a proposal for the LCS program). They're only about 20 years old though, with the first unit being commissioned in 1999.

The Nansen-class FFGs however are even younger; if you're referring to one of those maybe the reason for the better condition is that they're only made to do 27 knots as publicly listed and not actually try to get a four-figure-ton hull up on plane.

Guessing you're referring to a Skjold-class missile catamaran, as those are listed as having a Renk COGAG plant like the Freedom-class LCS. They're also a fraction of the displacement (listed at 274 tons full load versus 3,500 for a Freedom-class), which maybe also explains the lack of issues (if I recall, in the early concept days something like an enlarged Skjold was a proposal for the LCS program). They're only about 20 years old though, with the first unit being commissioned in 1999.

The Nansen-class FFGs however are even younger; if you're referring to one of those maybe the reason for the better condition is that they're only made to do 27 knots as publicly listed and not actually try to get a four-figure-ton hull up on plane.
It is, in fact, the Fridtjof Nansen, F-310. CHENG claimed 30 years old, fact checking disagrees. Keel laid 2003.

An interesting concept, maybe they can start with the flight I of the Virginia's.

An interesting concept, maybe they can start with the flight I of the Virginia's.

Hmm, well we do have a couple of examples there. The Soviets and later the Russians leased three nuclear boats to India (a Charlie-class SSGN during the Cold War, one Akula that was just returned to Russia after a decade, and another Akula reportedly scheduled to be leased after it completes repairs in 2026); however when the US helped the UK jumpstart their SSN program in the 1960s they simply provided the reactor section of their first boat (HMS Dreadnought).

The problem is that right now the USN is screaming for every nuclear boat they can get, and due to shipyard backlogs not all of the ones they do have are capable of deploying (USS Boise, for example, has been laid up awaiting repairs since 2017; she finally went into drydock after sitting idle for four years and isn't scheduled to be done until 2023). I can't see the USN parting with one willingly for several years, particularly since there's going to be a period where Virginia-class boats coming into service won't keep up with the rate of 688s hitting the end of their service lives. The British are even more shorthanded as the remaining pair of Trafalgar-class boats are getting long in the tooth and they only have five of the seven Astute-class hulls in the water. More likely I'd be willing to bet the US and/or UK forward-deploy a couple SSNs to Australia (most likely Perth, as that's the current base for the RAN's sub force) and integrate some RAN trainees into the crews. For reference, the RN and RAF sent pilots to fly USN aircraft (both carrier-based fighters and land-based maritime patrol aircraft) so they wouldn't lose that skillset in the gap between the scrapping of the Invincible-class and Nimrod MRA4 and getting the Queen Elizabeth-class and Poseidon MRA1 operational.

Hmm, well we do have a couple of examples there. The Soviets and later the Russians leased three nuclear boats to India (a Charlie-class SSGN during the Cold War, one Akula that was just returned to Russia after a decade, and another Akula reportedly scheduled to be leased after it completes repairs in 2026); however when the US helped the UK jumpstart their SSN program in the 1960s they simply provided the reactor section of their first boat (HMS Dreadnought).
I read something that the Indians were using pre-fab outfits in the Akula hull. Electronics and quarters stuff. Perhaps the UK and Australia can manufacture pre-fabbed stuff to us for our mutual defense program?

I read something that the Indians were using pre-fab outfits in the Akula hull. Electronics and quarters stuff. Perhaps the UK and Australia can manufacture pre-fabbed stuff to us for our mutual defense program?
Not sure about that; the first Akula they leased was one that was laid down in 1993 but then suspended. Basically India paid Russia to finally complete the sub 15 years later on the condition they got a 10-year lease on it; apparently after work resumed there were issues at the Komsomolsk shipyard with quality control, payment, and the power being cut off. The lease started in 2011 and they just returned it recently. The second Akula they are supposed to get was an older one that was launched in 1989 and taken out of service for upgrades in 2003, but given the lousy state of Russian shipyards it took five years to get the boat into a drydock at Kamchatka. Five years later with work still incomplete they put it on a ship transport and moved it back east to Severodvinsk. After that it apparently took six years to get into a drydock there and it's not due out until 2025; one might guess there was a similar funding deal with India in exchange for the lease. As to how much say the Indian Navy had on outfitting the subs, who knows - my guess is not an extensive amount as the boats were intended to go back into Russian service after the lease was up. Reportedly when the Soviets leased a Charlie-II to the Indian Navy between 1988 and 1991, it retained a partial Soviet Navy crew and Indian personnel were not allowed into the reactor or missile compartments. The deals for the Akulas may have been less restrictive as Russia was in a weaker bargaining position and the Indian Navy was reportedly unhappy enough about the Soviet arrangement to send the boat back after only three years.

Damage to forward ballast tanks would explain reports that the sub limped to Guam on the surface.

Edit: Bob corrected my statement to say the compartment is undamaged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom