New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABC Australia :Australia to acquire nuclear submarines as part of historic deal with US and UK to counter China's influence
It will and can be done.
To use a well known expression , " time to pull the finger out".

The question is how. US and UK nuclear sub building yards seem to be already at capacity building SSNs and SSBNs, and Australia has historically had to satisfy calls to give work to domestic industry. Logically the options would seem to be as follows:
  • Australian-built SSN: Tall order, especially without a civilian nuclear industry at home.
  • Foreign-built SSN: US and UK yards busy with construction for their own navies, cuts out Australian industry.
  • Hybrid: Seems most logical; when Britain first built a nuclear submarine it was basically a British-built bow section (conn, sonar, torpedo compartment) mated to an American-built S5W reactor and the engineering section "guts" of a Skipjack-class SSN - HMS Dreadnought (S101) - Wikipedia
Of course, whichever option they pick will still have a lot of hurdles.

Another problem is the RAN and RN will come up with grand projects, get halfway through them and them budget cuts and unit cancelations.

What is Canada up to with submarines ?There was some talk [it's cheap , I know] about a Slowpoke 2 Reactor.
What would I know, spent all my 20 years in "Skimmers" , no 'Dolphins' for me, I was posted to the sub base for 2 years and spent all my time in a wetsuit or a tracksuit.
I have respect for them, the training was hard and tough and at the time the highest divorce rate in the Navy.
Another problem is the RAN and RN will come up with grand projects, get halfway through them and them budget cuts and unit cancelations.
This is true, please not this time.:rolleyes:
Edit: ABC Australia, good read. Why does Australia want nuclear submarines?

What is Canada up to with submarines ?There was some talk [it's cheap , I know] about a Slowpoke 2 Reactor.
What would I know, spent all my 20 years in "Skimmers" , no 'Dolphins' for me, I was posted to the sub base for 2 years and spent all my time in a wetsuit or a tracksuit.
I have respect for them, the training was hard and tough and at the time the highest divorce rate in the Navy.

This is true, please not this time.:rolleyes:
Edit: ABC Australia, good read. Why does Australia want nuclear submarines?

Last I checked, the Canadians were still trying to make good with the four hand-me-down Upholder-class DE boats they were sold by the UK in the late 1990s; there have been no plans as yet for a replacement (which they would presumably need around the mid-2030s, which is about the same time the Australian Collins-class will be worn out).

Last I checked, the Canadians were still trying to make good with the four hand-me-down Upholder-class DE boats they were sold by the UK in the late 1990s; there have been no plans as yet for a replacement (which they would presumably need around the mid-2030s, which is about the same time the Australian Collins-class will be worn out).

Plus Canada relies on the US submarine force to keep the boogeyman at bay:wink:

The ROV in the video appears to be Jason Jr., with the casing modified to reduce its profile. Jason was the original concept, but Jason Jr. was built two years earlier as a prototype. Jason is a much larger ROV (roughly 7'x7' forward profile and 11' long) paired with the Medea camera/sonar sled: Jason (ROV) - Wikipedia

Got an answer back on Jjr ROVs. 4 of them were produce between 1985-88. The prototype is currently in a Titanic museum in Canada with a traveling exhibition on loan from Woods Hole. The unit used on Titanic and the modified unit used on Thresher were lost when a barge carrying them sank off the coast of Peru in the 90s. The fourth unit was retired in 1996 after sustaining serious damage when used in heavy seas and documentation runs out there. The barge with the 2 units has not been found and they are potentially intact with a general location known.

Got an answer back on Jjr ROVs. 4 of them were produce between 1985-88. The prototype is currently in a Titanic museum in Canada with a traveling exhibition on loan from Woods Hole. The unit used on Titanic and the modified unit used on Thresher were lost when a barge carrying them sank off the coast of Peru in the 90s. The fourth unit was retired in 1996 after sustaining serious damage when used in heavy seas and documentation runs out there. The barge with the 2 units has not been found and they are potentially intact with a general location known.

Interesting! I hadn't known there was more than one unit, let alone four.

Off topic:
Boy, have the French "got their knickers in a knot" over our sub deal, or what?

Off topic:
Boy, have the French "got their knickers in a knot" over our sub deal, or what?

Yes, and a bit of a dispute on how much advance notice they had - the French say they were blindsided, the Australians say they were giving them warnings the deal was in trouble for months. Could both be accurate.

I've seen a lot of commentary about how France is disappointed to be shut out of AUKUS given their territorial holdings in the Pacific, but having been out to French Polynesia and having friends who run a tour business there I get the sense it's not at the top of their priority list. The French have a couple patrol ships and auxiliaries based out of Tahiti and New Caledonia; however, from what I've heard in FP they aren't exactly keeping up with foreign fishing incursions into their Exclusive Economic Zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom