New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This pisses me off to no end. I had the honor of being at the commissioning ceremony and a VIP tour of this brand new vessel. I'd be taking a chunk of change out of Lockheed's ass for this. Brand new ships that are going into layup because the navy doesn't want to fix them or repower them, but yet is still ordering them. Give them to the Coast Guard for use as patrol or cutters. If Fantcari screwed up the LCS design, I wonder what they will pull on the Constellation class FFGX.
I’ve asked foreign navies with similar gears why they don’t seem to have the same troubles.

“We don’t go everywhere at 30 knots” was the response.

I'd be taking a chunk of change out of Lockheed's ass for this.

I'm no defense contractor defender but wouldn't be surprised if the problem systems were pushed or spec'd by the Navy. The US Navy has a long history of design by ill-informed committee members or worse. Kelly Johnson of Skunk Works fame had a long standing unwritten rule: No Navy Contracts.

I’ve asked foreign navies with similar gears why they don’t seem to have the same troubles.

“We don’t go everywhere at 30 knots” was the response.
Then repower them with a different system. The whole point of the design is to have multiple mission packages in prefurbushed units that can be added or dismantled in less than a month. When I got the tour, they said that there was 4 different units that were ready to go and the Detroit's was anti ship ops. They had anti-air, sub, and smuggling. But the anti sub stuff was not very good.

Then repower them with a different system. The whole point of the design is to have multiple mission packages in prefurbushed units that can be added or dismantled in less than a month. When I got the tour, they said that there was 4 different units that were ready to go and the Detroit's was anti ship ops. They had anti-air, sub, and smuggling. But the anti sub stuff was not very good.

Antisub=sub. Everything else is just another target.

Aegis destroyers are far more capable ASW platforms that a lcs could be.

My issue is that the crew treats the ships as throw-away.

Antisub=sub. Everything else is just another target.
You’d like to hope that…

Aegis destroyers are far more capable ASW platforms that a lcs could be.

My issue is that the crew treats the ships as throw-away.
By and far the most ASW platform we have since the OHP frigates were decommissioned. However on paper, for every 2 Burkes we should have 4 LCS's for the same cost. One day they are hunting subs in the deep ocean, 2 days later they are intercepting traffic off a hostile coast. A week later they can sail up shallow rivers and deltas.
You would like to believe otherwise.
Subs make good targets for airplanes

By and far the most ASW platform we have since the OHP frigates were decommissioned. However on paper, for every 2 Burkes we should have 4 LCS's for the same cost. One day they are hunting subs in the deep ocean, 2 days later they are intercepting traffic off a hostile coast. A week later they can sail up shallow rivers and deltas.

Subs make good targets for airplanes

Not since WWII have subs been good airplane targets. How do you think a plane is going to find one when even the surface ships can't find them.

Not since WWII have subs been good airplane targets. How do you think a plane is going to find one when even the surface ships can't find them.
Should we scrap our P-3s and 7s? MAD, Sonobuoy, dipping sonar, etc. Planes can find subs. Easier than subs finding planes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom