New Faber FX-100, paint already chipped at neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take it back to wherever you purchased it and exchange it. Good luck.

Diver's Direct had these for $249. If you bought from them, they will make good on it. I picked up a pair at their store in Orlando, and the valves were already on. How does the valve look? It may have been taken off for shipping. If the valve looks like it was removed with vise grips, or a tomahawk, that would justify considerable consternation.

PerroneFord:
Why people buy painted steel tanks I don't understand. You'll battle rust for as long as you own them.

Hot-dipped galvenized only for me...

While I agree that galvaized tanks are certainly better, and painted tanks will always rust, they can last a good long time. I have a pair painted steel 72's that were made in the sixty's that I just got back from hydro again. Yes, they are beaten up and yes, they have rust but they also have character.

Just wanted to follow up and say DiversDirect, where I got this from, is resolving the issue to my complete satisfaction. They are shipping me a new tank without waiting for the return and covering the return shipping. Props, I couldn't possibly ask for more. Thanks again for all the feedback.

hudson:
Pictures night tonight :)

I'm worried about having to deal with rusting around the neck. My concern is if it's like that out of the box, it'll get worse real quick...Is it a non-issue, should I just watch for rusting and deal with it when it happens?

Thanks again..

I had two customers bring 2 each of those cylinders in on Saturday.....total of 4 cylinders. One of them was chipped at the neck EXACTLY like the one shown in your picture. I would take a picture of it and post it, but it looks EXACTLY like the one you have.

Phil Ellis

PerroneFord:
Why people buy painted steel tanks I don't understand. You'll battle rust for as long as you own them.

Hot-dipped galvenized only for me...
signed.gif

I'm getting my Divers Direct FX100 tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Glad to hear they are taking care of you.

The problem here isn't the Faber tank... (or Blue Steel)

It's Divers Direct.

Faber ships the tanks to them w/o the valve installed and in a seperate box. Divers direct removes the valve from the other box and puts it either in the tank or in the box "loose" at the end where the tank neck/threads are.

I got two of these tanks in from Divers Direct. One of the valves was wrapped in a very thin layer of bubble wrap (rather poorly) and the other wasn't in anything but a plastic bag. The one with just the plastic bag had the neck 'chipped' on it just like the one in the above picture (but without the 'vise grip' marks). So the loose tank valves just "bounce around" in the end of the box and knock against the tank.

The tanks actually come from Faber "double boxed" like IGODEEP said in post #10, but in large shipments they are even shipped shrink wrapped on a pallet which offers more protection than UPS/FED-EX does. Divers Direct take the tank out of the double box sytem and ships it in a single box. I guess to save weight or dimension on shipping (to save money). They prob thought they had to do this since they've been offering free shipping on orders over $100, including tanks.

So the problem here is the poor packaging and packing materials by Divers Direct.

Faber USA (Blue Steel LLC) is aware of the problem and is working it... So I think you'll see some improvement from Divers Direct because of this. In reality they've got to improve. Having to pick-up-ship the old tank and ship a new tank will kill them, especially if they gave free shipping on the first time.

Now.. as for the 'vise grip marks' in the pic... They didn't come with the valve in... so that had to be the seller also. D'oh!

Dang, I was hoping these tanks would show up assembled with a vis sticker. Also, non-damaged!

Matt S.:
Dang, I was hoping these tanks would show up assembled with a vis sticker. Also, non-damaged!

Some peoples tanks did show up like that (from another thread). Divers Direct puts the valve in and a few PSI of air and slap a Viusal sticker on the side. I think by default this is how they did it, but others might have gotten the "loose valve" treatment also it appears.

I specificially asked them not to put air in it as Divers Direct in Dania Beach does not have O2 clean air. (which this is why I got a crappy packaged valve in the package).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom