New Faber FX-100, paint already chipped at neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hudson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pictures night tonight :)

I'm worried about having to deal with rusting around the neck. My concern is if it's like that out of the box, it'll get worse real quick...Is it a non-issue, should I just watch for rusting and deal with it when it happens?

Thanks again..

Attachments

• neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 141
Why people buy painted steel tanks I don't understand. You'll battle rust for as long as you own them.

Hot-dipped galvenized only for me...

do it easy:
If that's a new tank, I think you should ask for another one.
I second this. Faber usually does a really good job of coating their cylinders but I'm not sure what happened there. Perhaps USPS wasn't handling it "with care".

Yeah, brand new tank, Fedex Gnd. Funny though how it was shipped single-boxed in the original Faber carton, which had *zero* padding inside. I'm not surprised the neck is in the shape it is.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll return it. I need to decide though, if I want a replacement, or if I should go for a hot-galvanized Worthington at ~$70 more...

Looks like it was used for chopping wood. it's not just the chipped paint but all the other dings as well. Certainly not in top shelf condition.

I too prefer the hot dipped galvanized finish. Send it back or negotiate an attractive adjustment. If they make it worth your while it is small blemish and some galvanizing paint will make it manageable.

Pete

hudson:
Yeah, brand new tank, Fedex Gnd. Funny though how it was shipped single-boxed in the original Faber carton, which had *zero* padding inside.

It's been a few years, but I think that's standard- mine arrived in a cardboard box, with a plug, and maybe a clear plastic bag for padding, although my necks weren't gouged. Tanks don't require much for padding. The paint and finish on them are usually pretty durable.

A brand new cylinder that looks like that is a disappointment.

We have Faber and Worthington at our house. We like both. Sometimes a Faber will look damaged when the outer coating is scratched, but it's the middle oxide layer is exposed. After a couple of years of ownership, the only bare metal problem I had was when a guy knocked it over and it rolled downhill on a sidewalk. I touched it up with some white appliance paint, and back to diving. That would have damaged a zinc galvanized finish, too.

Faber is discounted around here, and a lot of Florida divers use them. It it takes a pretty good beating, and a dab of touch-up paint every so often is not that big a thing.

I agree with you. When the first thing you see on a new item is careless damage, it kind of sours the deal.

I just got a couple Fabers in the mail this month. They did not look like that around the neck. No way that should have happened. Personally I would negotiate a discount for the damage, then buy a can of Applicance White Epoxy paint and give the neck a couple of coats and not worry about it. I just did the same with the wife's cylinders when they came back from hydro.

We handle a lot of fabe tanks, and most of them arrive double boxed, with the boot in another box, on top of the tank. It provides some protection for the neck. At least this is the case since Blue Steel became the US distributor.

I personally prefer the painted tanks to galvanized. I have owned a bunch of Fabers for years, and never had any problem with the paint chipping off, or rust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom