New equipment, what to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bannaN

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been diving alot this summer and now i want to try underwater photography.

I have tried to get an overview of what is the equipment out there today(With price/picture quality in mind) and here is some suggestions:

Equipment option #1
Olympus E-PL2 $539
Olympus PT EP03 Housing $599
Total: $1138

Equipment option #2
Canon PowerShot G12 $483
Canon WP-DC34 Housing $169
Total: $652

Equipment option #3
Nikon Coolpix P7000 $374
Fantasea Line FP7000 $399
Total: $773

Ofcourse i am drawn against the olympus option, but is it worth the extra cash? And does anyone have other equipment suggestions in the same price range?

I will also need a starter kit with flash\lights, does anyone have tips on good starting kits for a reasonable price?

Best regards

ofcourse i know that the olympus system is the best one of the three options. But my question was, is it worth the extra cash..? The Panasonic GF-2 options is blown away by the housing, which is way to expensive compared to the one that fits the Oly E-PL2 camera.

Compare Option 2 to the Oly XZ-1 with it's PT-050 housing. The price for the Oly setup is about $150. more than the G12 and WP-DC34. The XZ-1 has a larger sensor than the G12 as well as a 1.8 lens versus the 2.8 in the G12. The PT-050 also has a threaded lens port for wet mount lenses.

Compare Option 2 to the Oly XZ-1 with it's PT-050 housing. The price for the Oly setup is about $150. more than the G12 and WP-DC34. The XZ-1 has a larger sensor than the G12 as well as a 1.8 lens versus the 2.8 in the G12. The PT-050 also has a threaded lens port for wet mount lenses.

If you order from amazon the oly setup is about the same $409 for the camera and $250 for the housing as of today.

It is difficult to compare EVIL with compact.
I have EPL-1 + 10bar housing + semi dome port - and with panny 7-14mm, very wide but $$$ and if you use PTEP03 you'll need another $$$ for the port. EVIL does not work with wet WA.
But if you shoot mostly macro, I do not see significant difference with above compact cameras - or at least with my XZ-1 or G9 (i don't have G12 or P7000)
What I want to say, I'm happy with my E-PL1 system but if XZ-1 is released at the same time, then I will choose this camera instead of EPL1. I love compact because its flexibility. And I have to say, oly PT-050 is much better built than canon WPDC-xx. The downside of XZ-1 - no flash on supermacro.
That's why, when XZ-1 is released I bought it for my daughter - here is few example of XZ-1 taken by her (note she's 11 years old)
Melato_moray_1.jpg

Emperor_shrimp1.jpg

Melati_bumphead_2.jpg

wisnu,

Are thoose picture taken with or without extra flash?

Anyone got a suggestion for a cheap light pack?

she took those picture w/ Inon D2000 in manual. Although Oly claim the internal flash can be used, but I doubt will give you sufficient lighting.
The Inon D2000 or S2000 is nice strobe but if your budget limited, I can recommend S&S YS-02 - similar as YS-01 except no STTL, you can get it for around 300 bucks. There's cheaper strobe such as ultramax or Intova but I can't comment as I never try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom