New DS & Extra Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkatchalov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought a new Pinnacle Evo 2 and would like to get others' opinions on how much extra weight I'll need.

I'll dive the evo 2, temperate undergarment, hood, rock boots, gloves, single steel hp100, alu bp/w, no sta.

when diving the same setup as above only with a 7mm semi-dry+5mm vest, I had 6kg of weight on my belt and could hold a stop at 5 meters with 50 bar in the tank & no air in the BC on a single breath.

i'm 6'6", weight 87 kg.

based on past threads and other research I think I will need an extra 2/3kg. I will still buoyancy tests, etc but wanted to get others' opinion first.

Thanks.

There's no set rule, you'll have to figure it out...

Base your final weight on doing a safety stop with 20 bar of air left and some air in the suit for comfort. Otherwise, you'll end up being too buoyant when you don't need it/want to.

Forget the 50 bar thing, prepare for worse and bad currents, being a tad negative will help you there.

I have the Evolution undergarment, and a SS BP, so can't help you there, but I need total 8kg on my belt at the moment.

Just do stuff like trade out your al plate for a steel one and add a can light and who knows you might not have to add weight

My Evo 2 should be here within a week, so I can not help you from personal knowledge, but I was told to estimate 15 - 20 pounds with a standard AL80 and Zeagle Brigade. Once I get the correct amount of weight dialed in at the Scubatoys Pool, I will then have to estimate again for salt water in 2 weeks. Good luck with your new setup. Keep us posted on how you like it!!!!

I went from a White's Catalyst with undergarments that were about 200gm to a custom cut DUI with undergarments that are about 650gm (yes, I'm a wus to to the cold). I dive twin steel LP 85's. In the first set up I needed no weights. At 500psi in my tanks, I was still plenty negative. With this new set up, I could not even begin to sink at the start of a dive. It took an additional 8lbs to get & stay down.

My Evo 2 should be here within a week, so I can not help you from personal knowledge, but I was told to estimate 15 - 20 pounds with a standard AL80 and Zeagle Brigade. Once I get the correct amount of weight dialed in at the Scubatoys Pool, I will then have to estimate again for salt water in 2 weeks. Good luck with your new setup. Keep us posted on how you like it!!!!

A theorethical approach would be:

Once dialed in in fresh water. Go home let all your equipment dry out. Now weigh everything you were wearing in the pool and weigh yourself.
Sum all the weight.
Now multiply with density difference between fresh and salt water. (approx 3% so multiply with 0.03.)
This will give you your extra lead requirement (this assumes that the lead added has no volume, and that your weighing scales are perfect.....so round up with one lbs and you should be slightly negative from spot on.)

Also I agree with the statement prepare for worse (or some more time underwater......) and add the weight to off set emptying the tank completely.

Feel free to add some more weight on your first salt water dives, but as long as your displaced water volume / total weight ratio doesn't change significantly, this method will work.

This will give you your extra lead requirement (this assumes that the lead added has no volume, and that your weighing scales are perfect.....so round up with one lbs and you should be slightly negative from spot on.)

Actually the specific gravity of most ocean water is more like 1.026 or a little less than 3% over fresh water. By using the full 3% factor you have pretty much absorbed the displacement of the added dive weight. The displacement of the freshwater diver and all of the other gear was already absorbed.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom