NEW DRYFOB-TXL (Tall) PLB Container Released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaan

Ask me about DRYFOB
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

We have had interest in a longer XL for a variety of devices. While we had some trouble reliably machining a single DRYFOB-TXL (Tall XL for lack of a better name) we ended up making a sleeve that can put two standard XL bottoms together. In essence making a double length XL joined at the middle. This makes for quite a jump in size with an exterior length of 11 inches and an interior cavity length of 10.35". We may consider other sizes of sleeves or shorter bottom sections in the future but for now, this is the TXL (or TREX!!). I'll also say right off the bat that it is the same 70mm interior diameter, so it won't house any of the larger smartphones. A rugged travel ready flip phone definitely fits though.

While this approach allows us to get to market faster reusing the proven XL design with the same proven dual O-ring seals, it also has a couple of caveats.

(a) It removes the attachments points that were on the lid.
We still have those small 3mm holes in the bottom lips on either side of the TXL. Likely the best attachment mode would be hose clamps and some bungee. I have ordered a spare-air like harness that may be large enough to house the unit. Perhaps someone knows of something suitable, if so please let me know.

(b) Two bottoms also means that the unit has two sets of dual O-rings. That said, it seems to actually twist off quite well on one end after it's been assembled with both ends attached. The seal design is identical to the current XL and feels nice and tight, this also proved out in the lab certification.

Thanks to this reuse, we have the ability to mix and match parts with the current XLs. Thus we are also offering to sell them in parts at $50 each. Example, buyers can buy an TXL for $150 and an extra top for $50. Existing XL owners can buy an extra bottom and a sleeve for $100. Owners of two XLs could by a sleeve for $50. That may get complicated to manage and to be honest the margins don't even make a lot of sense for us unless volume picks up. Truth be told we ordered a bunch and went through the external accredited lab certification, so if anyone is interested, do take advantage of the introductory pricing offer in case sanity prevails and we change our mind or raise prices :)

We do realize that this unit is a fair bit larger (and thicker) than what is needed for the ACR PLB/AIS unit even when in the floatation pouch, but assuming one doesn't mind the extra size and has a good way to mount it, it may prove to be a good candidate for a case for those wanting to bring that new unit to depth. The older ACR PLB Aqualink unit measuring 5.8 x 2.3 x 1.45 inches that was too long for the XL also fits. We also recently had people ask about a larger unit to house more battery for deep sea research projects, and some cave divers wanting air quality monitors like the GasAlertMicroClip.

For everyone's added peace of mind, we actually had them tested to 1,200 ft (365m), which was the maximum the lab could do. The units all passed and this is now the official IPx8 rating.

We have them up on the site in Red and Blue. If you're interested in additional XL parts you can DM me and we'll figure out a way to make that work though the store. Unfortunately, we have had a family emergency here and have to leave tomorrow for a couple of weeks. If anyone wants one right away I can mail them out today (or on our return Oct 27). It may be hard for me to answer a lot of questions meanwhile but I'll be as responsive as I can be. Wanted to get this info out to our SB friends before we left (tomorrow).

Dryfob-TXL-2-colors-white-background-200x300.jpg
Blue-Dryfob-TXL-open-white-background-300x200.jpg
With ACR unit.jpg

That looks brilliant!

I use a Dryfob XL to carry my ACR PLB. I created an attachment point with a hose clamp wrapped in tubular webbing (similar concept to a stage bottle rigging).

Can the new Dryfob TXL fit a PLB and a small handheld VHF?

E.g., the Standard Horizon HX40 measures 2.05" W x 3.74" H x 1.3" D.

That looks brilliant!

I use a Dryfob XL to carry my ACR PLB. I created an attachment point with a hose clamp wrapped in tubular webbing (similar concept to a stage bottle rigging).

Can the new Dryfob TXL fit a PLB and a small handheld VHF?

E.g., the Standard Horizon HX40 measures 2.05" W x 3.74" H x 1.3" D.
Indeed it would. Both fit in a standard XL (the Horizon with the antenna removed and kept on the side) so you could either put both in the TXL or have two XLs. I think you might even be able to leave the antenna on with the TXL.

Check out this pic from Dave in Australia who was nice enough to send it in to us. He has two beautiful Yellow XLs mounted on the tank in a similar fashion :)
Dual DRYFOB Tank Setup (2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 12
Ask this guy if he thinks carrying a PLB is a good idea...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom