New dry suit - repaired

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KNDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a new drysuit for a rather high price. It turns out that they have delivered with a leak. This leak is repaired, but the suit no longer seem like new, it is clear it has been repaired. What can you expect? It is as a high-end suit which does not look high-end from the inside. What to do?

To clarify: did you receive it with the repair inside or was it repaired after you reported a leak?

It was reapaired after I reported the leak. The suit was delivered with the leak from new.

I'd say if it's dry now and you got good customer service, suck up your disappointment and go diving. It can happen to any suit from any company.
If it starts springing more leaks in a short period of time that could be an indication of poor workmanship. That can be an individual suit problem (sloppy tech, over dry glue, inattention to detail, etc), or a company issue.

My one caveat is if the repair looks like a job by a drunk gorilla having a bad day, then you could have a problem worth fighting over. Otherwise it's probably not worth the hassle.

If you are looking for permission or a reason to fight about it, far be it from me to dissuade you.

I agree with Fmerkel's comments, if the suit is generally not well made and this leak is an indicator you have an issue to deal with.

However, without seeing the impact of the repair it is difficult to comment. If it is small patch on the inside I cant see an issue, if it is a large patch that impacts on the suits flexibility then that may be a problem!

If the works, go and enjoy. Try and make it look used and old :)

It will be tested soon. Iam also nervous it will not be dry in the long run as well as if has been dry from the start.

But I still receive a new very expensive dry suit with a clear repair from the inside.

A leak was repaired. I don't believe invisible suit repairs yet exist. It's on the inside. Unless it shows on the outside, I don't see the problem. If the leak was fixed and it's no longer leaking when you dive, you got good customer service.

It will be tested soon. Iam also nervous it will not be dry in the long run as well as if has been dry from the start.

Depends on the nature of the issue. But you have not given much information on this!

If it is a seam issue then maybe (as stated above) there are issues in manufacture. If it is a clear hole (perforation) then a patch will fix the issue. If it is many pinholes you may have on-going patching issues...

Was the repair done by the manufacturer or by your dealer? If the repair was done by the manufacturer, I would have to assume the repair was done properly and the suit is now in like-new condition except for an unsightly repair. It sounds like you are not convinced, though.

If that is correct, I don't think our opinions are going to be very useful, as they carry no weight. As you know, you have two options: (1) use the repaired suit, or (2) lodge a complaint with the company and tell them you believe you are entitled to a new suit rather than a suit with an unsightly and potentially unreliable repair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom