New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from my first post Covid-19-lockdown dive and got to further experiment with the Blacktip.

The new firmware is really quiet! I only heard the motor in higher gears but mostly I didn't hear it over my bubbles (just heard my buddie's Sierra). My scooter apparently has those tight shaft seals and it seems to take a few seconds to ramp up underwater once the trigger is engaged (I've been told it will break in, eventually). I'm going to disengage SS and see if that helps on the next dive.

It "seems" like the dpv is slightly slower after the firmware update although this could just be perception due to not hearing the normal whining noise of the motor. Has anyone confirmed before and after speed runs with the new firmware?

My nose cone now weights 2lbs / 0.9 kilos. I have a large bolt snap, the thin steel plate and no lead. In saltwater at shallow depths the dpv is basically neutral. At deeper depths (66 ft /20m and below), the dpv is slightly negative.

I have the 12ah batteries, bottom time was 52 mins, Speeds varied but used 4-5 most of the time and on the trigger most of the dive. The Blacktip indicated 3 bars remaining, the batteries indicated 2 bars. I feel confident I could get 2 hours out of the batteries at this speed.

I have the clip in the stock position so it doesn't slide. That's great until you have to re-adjust underwater because your friend used it and with 5mm gloves, it doesn't adjust easily. I'll probably move it to free sliding but this is preference.

For those of you trying to decide what model to get, ask yourself "What type of diving will I primarily be doing with it?" For shore and most recreational diving, the light weight and small dimensions of the Travel tube are just too good to pass up. If you are using it as a video platform or tech diving where you need it stay level when you let go, go with the Tech tube. I will probably get the Tech tube for my boat dives and use the Travel tube the rest of the time.

I plan on using the Blacktip A LOT from the shore this Summer to discover sites that were previously too far to swim to.

The new firmware is really quiet! I only heard the motor in higher gears but mostly I didn't hear it over my bubbles (just heard my buddie's Sierra). My scooter apparently has those tight shaft seals and it seems to take a few seconds to ramp up underwater once the trigger is engaged (I've been told it will break in, eventually). I'm going to disengage SS and see if that helps on the next dive.

It "seems" like the dpv is slightly slower after the firmware update although this could just be perception due to not hearing the normal whining noise of the motor. Has anyone confirmed before and after speed runs with the new firmware?

I can still hear it quite well... but then, my breath noise in my CCR is louder...

As for the speed, it is slower. That’s how it is quieter. Not because it is slower, but because they paid attention to what rpms run quieter than others. Most were turned down (also gives a slightly longer run time... nothing is free).

_R

efficiency is often free

Many performance car exhaust systems don't add any power. It is the illusion of power created by the extra noise. There is a very positive link between noise levels and perceived power levels. Things can feel slow when they are not just because they are quiet.

Many performance car exhaust systems don't add any power. It is the illusion of power created by the extra noise. There is a very positive link between noise levels and perceived power levels. Things can feel slow when they are not just because they are quiet.

While I agree with you I do think that the speed is slower. I can say that when I previously tried 8th "gear", the pull on the crotch strap was uncomfortable and the hose on my 2nd stage was flapping around. When I tried it yesterday, that did not happen. It seems as if all the "gears" have been turned down a notch, 8th is now 7, 4 is now 3, etc. I will reach out to Dive-X to confirm this.

It would be easy enough to look at the firmware gear table and compare the settings for each gear between the original firmware and the new firmware...

I haven't checked the actual RPMs between firmwares, but on the newer firmware it didn't feel slower to me. It did SOUND slower as it was much quieter. I also at one point mid-dive switched with a buddy and swapped BlackTip for a Piranha P1 to test it out. Whether or not the P1 was faster, it also SOUNDED faster.

Well I went back and looked at my 1.6 and 1.15 files .....

They are the same ... hmmm when I was comparing them originally a few months ago I was under the impression that 1.12 and 1.15 had different RPM speeds from the 1.6 ....

I guess not!

_R

...As for the speed, it is slower. That’s how it is quieter. Not because it is slower, but because they paid attention to what rpms run quieter than others. Most were turned down (also gives a slightly longer run time... nothing is free).
_R
On Firmware Updates - Dive Xtras Underwater Scooters Dive-Xtras describes the firmware update as "Increased Efficiency * The motor commutation is now fully sinusoidal, which reduces the current draw for the same speed." I'm assuming a side benefit of increased efficiency is less energy is being wasted generating noise and they better matched their drive electronics and electronic speed control to the motor characteristics, with the secondary benefit of quieter operation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom