New diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With your body flat (horizontal), put your index and middle finger on the mask face edge, slightly above the nose bridge. Now, pressing firmly with those fingers and at the same time, exhaling briskly and fully out your nose, you also tilt your head back. That should work if I've explained it properly.

There may still be a bit of water remaining in the very bottom of your mask windows near your nostrils. Some folk find this annoying and it can be but it isn't a big deal.

If your body is vertical in the water, head up towards the surface, then tuck chin to chest, fingers as explained, exhale through nose as explained at same time as tipping head as far back as you can as if looking up to the surface.

Eventually, it will not be neccessary to be so dramatic in your movements, as clearing becomes more natural.

Also, make sure that your mask strap is properly positioned.

The reason that you are pressing the top of your mask is to lightly unseal the bottom of your mask so that the air you are exhaling forces the water out the bottom and then neatly reseals to your cheeks and below nose/above lip.

If your mask skirt on bottom of mask opens up too far then water will come back in if you stop exhaling prior to a proper reseating.

With your body flat (horizontal), put your index and middle finger on the mask face edge, slightly above the nose bridge. Now, pressing firmly with those fingers and at the same time, exhaling briskly and fully out your nose, you also tilt your head back. That should work if I've explained it properly.

There may still be a bit of water remaining in the very bottom of your mask windows near your nostrils. Some folk find this annoying and it can be but it isn't a big deal.

If your body is vertical in the water, head up towards the surface, then tuck chin to chest, fingers as explained, exhale through nose as explained at same time as tipping head as far back as you can as if looking up to the surface.

Eventually, it will not be neccessary to be so dramatic in your movements, as clearing becomes more natural.

Also, make sure that your mask strap is properly positioned.

The reason that you are pressing the top of your mask is to lightly unseal the bottom of your mask so that the air you ate exhaling forces the water out the bottom and then neatly reseals to your cheeks and below nose/above lip.

If your mask skirt on bottom of mask opens up too far then water will come back in if you stop exhaling prior to a proper reseating.

Thank you! I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

For some damn reason I am doing something wrong with mask clearing. They said I keep blowing through my regulator. There would be times where my mask would fill completely with water but I would still stay at the bottom and not quit till I cleared it. Then there would be times where I would be able to clear it but still have a little bit of water in my mask. Idk why I’m struggling with something so easy lol. Any tips?

You have water in your mask. You want replace the water in your mask with air. Air goes up and water goes down. If you blow out your nose your mask fills with air. If you do nothing else, the air will go up and out your mask (not good). So you put just enough pressure on the top of your mask to hold it to your face. You don't have to push hard, just enough to stop air from escaping from the top of your mask.

Without water, you can try standing in front of a mirror with your mask on, put pressure on the top of the mask and blow out your nose. You should see the bottom of the mask open and air comes out. If there is water in the mask, this is were it would escape.

When you blow out your nose, the air cannot go up. So the water will get pushed down and out the bottom of your mask. The only other thing to remember is, you have to be looking straight ahead or, better yet, slightly up. If you are horizontal and looking down, it is really hard to clear your mask. If you are looking down then the water is going to go into your mask and not out the bottom. You must look forward or slightly up for the water to have somewhere to escape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom