New diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may double check with your instructor. I looked that shop up and they are a SSI facility. SSI does 4 Open Water Dives. May be that you are doing 2 dives at the pond and then 2 dives the next day at the ocean. That is an excellent way to train BTW, getting exposed to multiple environments and conditions will help you feel more comfortable and confident as you progress. Enjoy your check out dives.

Ah yes that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. Yeah these guys are really good. Our instructor was a firefighter for 36 years and he’s been diving since he was like 12. Very thorough.

You will be going through a lot of tasks, mate, before yr down to 60 feet. Practise yr mask removal as much as you can - that was my big downfall. There is a trick to it and its strap on after you cleared it - much easier . K
We actually just did the weight belt roll and the mask removal. I struggled with the weight belt roll and when we did the mask removal for some stupid reason I kept think of the mask clearing so when I put it back on I put more water in my mask and tried to clear it such a silly mistake

Haha thank you guys! We’re only doing 2 open water dives so that’s why I’m confused cause most people like yourselves that I speak to mention dives 3 and 4. Our first open water will be in a pond then the next day the ocean. So I’m assuming the pond may be 40? I’ll have to ask my instructor. I had an issue with equalizing at the pool and had ear pain for a night, but it went away.

Do you think it might be "2 days" instead of "2 dives"? We were doing 2 dives for each day of lessons. If that's the case for you, you'd get 4 dives out of the 2 days.

As @loosenit2 pointed out, you'll start at something above 40 feet and dive 3 and 4 will be around 60 feet. If you are in reasonable shape you should be able to swim up (CESA) from 40 feet. When I was using rental gear I had all my gear fail, buddy wasn't staying close so I head for the surface with a mouth full of water. Did all the right things and was fine. I didn't panic and head for the surface. I actually took the time to access the situation, see if anyone was around to help me, try to get the guide's attention and THEN decide to head for the surface. You actually have plenty of time if you stay calm.

So long as you don't panic, it is all good. They set the depth limits for training and OW certified divers because you are new and it should fit with your training and experience at this point.

Being nervous is fine. As @Norwegian Cave Diver says "Relax. Listen. Learn. Enjoy."

I think your big worry right now is how much money you are going to spend on diving. haha.
Yeah the money topic is another whole situation haha. I've already spent probably $1,000 just on the course and the few items I had to purchase just to complete the course. I still need my own BC. Not sure if I should purchase my own tank or just rent until I have enough dives under my belt.

I had an issue with equalizing at the pool and had ear pain for a night, but it went away.

A few things to understand about equalizing. First, the biggest change is at the surface. You might need to equalize every few inches at first. By the time you get to 5 feet you might have to equalize every 6 inches. Down around 15 feet you might have to equalize every 1 or 2 feet. Essentially, the deeper you go, the less you'll have to equalize.

More importantly, if you feel ANY pressure on your ears it is too late to equalize. You want to go up a few inches until the pressure goes away and then try to equalize. I start equalizing the moment I start descending and keep doing it until I get below 15 feet. As I get deeper I equalize less often but if I ever feel any pressure on my ears I go up a few inches to a foot and start equalizing again.

If you try equalizing when you feel the pressure, you are just going to irritate your your ears and make things harder.

I start equalizing on shore, no lie.

Scuba888 is obviously right on the money. The first 10-15 feet are critical. Grab that nose and hold on like you mean it!

I was actually surprised how little you need to equalize after the first 20 feet or so.....The deeper you go the easier I find it to equalize. I can usually equalize with a jaw movement below 20 feet or so, if I even need to......

I too equalize while on shore and even when I am not diving.

Don't get yourself all worked up about 60 feet.......You will be fine. Just make sure you dress for the temp down there.

A few things to understand about equalizing. First, the biggest change is at the surface. You might need to equalize every few inches at first. By the time you get to 5 feet you might have to equalize every 6 inches. Down around 15 feet you might have to equalize every 1 or 2 feet. Essentially, the deeper you go, the less you'll have to equalize.

More importantly, if you feel ANY pressure on your ears it is too late to equalize. You want to go up a few inches until the pressure goes away and then try to equalize. I start equalizing the moment I start descending and keep doing it until I get below 15 feet. As I get deeper I equalize less often but if I ever feel any pressure on my ears I go up a few inches to a foot and start equalizing again.

If you try equalizing when you feel the pressure, you are just going to irritate your your ears and make things harder.
I appreciate that information. Thanks a lot.

Update: We did our first open water at Hathaway Pond in the Cape. It went very well I was so excited. We went to about 30 feet. We went through the sharing air, the regulators, and the mask clearing. For some damn reason I am doing something wrong with mask clearing. They said I keep blowing through my regulator. There would be times where my mask would fill completely with water but I would still stay at the bottom and not quit till I cleared it. Then there would be times where I would be able to clear it but still have a little bit of water in my mask. Idk why I’m struggling with something so easy lol. Any tips?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom