New diver to Great Lakes-Any tips or need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You didn’t do Portillo’s? Oh, the humanity! The chocolate cake you missed!

I told him to go before he even got here.
And it was really close to his hotel too.
Lol well at least he partially listened to me.

You didn’t do Portillo’s? Oh, the humanity! The chocolate cake you missed!

You forgot the lemon which is seasonal. Chocolate is always around lol. I agree though it's damn good. Forgot the hot dogs too which is what they are known for.

Short version- friggin awesome trip. Just rolled into the driveway after 13 and a half hours on the road. Took about an hour break in Uranus. Well worth the stop. (Uranus, Missouri...they have capitalized on the name. They have a fudge shop and they will tell you...we pack fudge in Uranus)

Haigh Quarry was lots of fun and worked out very well. 2 of us we're diving brand new 7 mil farmer johns so they had tried their weights in the pool before we left, but there's no substitute for real water and real cold. Despite not diving wrecks on Saturday, Captain Kieth went out of his way to get us set up at Haigh. It was actually windier on Sunday, but no warnings.

Sunday was what we came for. Loaded the boat at 1:30ish, and were probably in the water by 2:30. Water was in the mid 50s so not as cold as the quarry. The barge was nice, but the wooden wrecks were just amazing. Great crew, Joseph and Captain Bob were great to meet.

Food wise, Giadorno's, Tony's Itallian Beef, and Beggars Pizza on Sunday were all just icing on the cake of a great trip. I'll definately be back.

I'll post a full report later in the week. Thanks again to @Chidiver1 and @Marie13 for the local information. Im working on the learning curve for the next trip.

Jay

U stepped down from Giordano's to beggars? :eek:

I won't even eat beggars. Lol. You missed out with the Tony's deal, buona's would have been a second choice. But portillos for beef would be #1 or Vito and Nick's. It sucks you didn't hit the other spots, you really missed out. :confused:

The Illinois/Holly Barge and the Tacoma. We had a full boat and the vis immediately went to hell after everyone got down on the Tacoma. Felt like Oklahoma Lake diving, but colder.

I'm hoping to be back at least once before the water temps get to cold to dive wet. Beggars was recommended by the Capitan and was close. It wasn't Giodorno's...but was good. We were starving and traffic was bad because of a perrogi festival. I promise I'll hit Portillos twice next time, and even buy you guys lunch.

We were literally just pulling into the hotel when Keith called and said the boat was canceled. I went in to lemonade (when life gives you lemons) mode and he recommended several options to get in the water on Saturday. He even put me in contact with Nancy at Haigh so we had a contact for any questions. Also recommended Pearl Lake and Gilboa and a possible shore dive close to the marina. I will dive with them again.

Jay

Shore dive is the George F. Williams, but you do need a float.

Tina at Haigh. :D

I love the Tacoma.

Gilboa is about a 4-5 hour drive. Too danged far for one day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom