New diver to Great Lakes-Any tips or need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Its a 12 hour drive to Lake Michigan so Im putting together a weekend trip. I'm trying to book with Double Action, but seats and schedule may not work. Do you have any favorite boats running intermediate dive trips out of the Hammond area?

Best place in the Hammond area for fills?

Diving wise, I understand the water temps will be in the low 50's so ill be diving a 8/7 with hood and gloves. We are experienced divers from clear blue seas to zero visibility Oklahoma muck divers. Anything else we need to know? Places to stay, places to eat, etc?

Favorite wrecks? Straits of Mac and Rotarian look great...any other favorites within rec/no deco depths?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

I'm one of the local regulars.

Fave wrecks: Wells Burt. 40ft deep. Dead eyes make the wreck. Louisville is my other favorite. 60ft deep. The Burt is in the $140 charters as it's north of Chicago (more fuel costs). The Louisville is in the $120 charters. The Rotarian ($140 charters) is great. Former Prohibition speakeasy that was anchored in the Chicago River. Formerly Cook County Democratic HQ and it's now on the bottom of the lake. As a Cook County (and former Chicago) resident, I find this extremely amusing. :D There is a great huge boiler and brown glass beer bottles scattered among the wreckage. You can look and touch, but not take!

The only really deep wreck the Hammond boat goes to is the Thomas Hume, 150ft deep, 25 miles out in the lake. Couple times a month.

Cheap, post dive eats are to be found at the Purple Steer, a Greek diner perhaps a mile from the marina. Large portions. Their Greek lemon/chicken something soup is to die for.

Just make the run to DRIS to get fills. Besides, how can you be so close and not make the visit? :D

Double Action is it for the shallow wrecks at the southern end of the lake. They are the only ones running out of Hammond. There was someone else running out of Chicago, but he retired last year. Plus, Double Action will allow you to book per seat. The guys further north seem to require the whole boat to be chartered.

We are not Florida. Our season essentially goes from May to early October.

Seaquest II (the Hammond boat, which I've nicknamed Lakequest) has a nice head. Fin on ladder. Don't take your fins off. I have a friend who took his fins off, had soft soled boots, and broke his foot. He's my poster child for leaving your fins on. The boat usually ties up to a mooring or anchors. So either use the line or stay close to it.

Water is green. So if you have a magenta filter for your camera, bring it!

Captain Keith is fab. There is always at least 1 DM on the boat. They will help with everything from handing you a camera once you're in the water, helping with gloves, to pulling up a tank you've doffed on the ladder, to pulls on tank valve to get up the ladder (this is me).

No DM in the water to lead the group around by the nose. You're on your own. Keith gives good site briefings for those new to the wrecks.

Hammond can be sort of sketchy.

Oh, and take your preferred seasickness meds the night before and morning off. The Great Lakes have “chop” and it can be very unpleasant, even for those who’ve spent a lot of time at sea. The waves are much closer together than on the ocean

Closest fill would be in Hobart or maybe dyer. You'll have to call and ask, but both are a helluva lot closer than Plainfield, especially with construction season in full swing.

I definitely wouldn’t suggest going to Plainfield il from Hammond for air fills, that’s an hour drive each way with traffic could be much more. There are shops much closer than that. Also when traveling through Illinois especially Chicago bring lots of $$ many people will want some. And be careful our roads are in very bad shape. Unfortunately that area of Indiana might not be the best for tourist accommodations.

@Jayfarmlaw

What charters (morning or evening) are you planning on doing? If you need fills, only do Saturday morning and whatever charters Sunday. Doing Sat morning gives you the afternoon to go get fills. I’ve had to do the juggling before myself.

If you need additional tanks and fills are an issue, you can rent tanks from DRIS and Double Action will bring them to the boat. They need 3 days notice and it’s $35 on top of tank rental. They have mostly AL80s with a smattering of steels. The HP100 are VERY popular. Just email or call DA with any questions and to set it up.

Let me know when you’re coming! I’ll be in Toby in two weekends and up in Ontario for Intro to Tech the first weekend in August, but I’m otherwise free.

@Jayfarmlaw

What charters (morning or evening) are you planning on doing? If you need fills, only do Saturday morning and whatever charters Sunday. Doing Sat morning gives you the afternoon to go get fills. I’ve had to do the juggling before myself.

If you need additional tanks and fills are an issue, you can rent tanks from DRIS and Double Action will bring them to the boat. They need 3 days notice and it’s $35 on top of tank rental. They have mostly AL80s with a smattering of steels. The HP100 are VERY popular. Just email or call DA with any questions and to set it up.

Let me know when you’re coming! I’ll be in Toby in two weekends and up in Ontario for Intro to Tech the first weekend in August, but I’m otherwise free.
We are booked for July 27 @ 7:00 am and July 28 at 2:00. 3 divers now and maybe 4 by the time we leave. There was there was a scheduling error that showed a 3 tank dive on the 27th but it should have been in August so we are back to the 2 tank on Saturday.

My 7 mil boots came in and don't fit in my favorite fins, luckily they do fit in my second favorite.

Biggest problem we are having now is finding a place to stay close to the pier. Most of the hotels within 15 miles have horrible reviews from bloody sheets, to drug deals, to thug parties, to no hot water, to horrible smells, staff that could care less, and security issues... the list is endless...and current reviews. I'd like to stay within 15 minutes since it's a 7:00 am departure (6:00 am Oklahoma time) and we have a 12ish hour drive to get there. Anything under $100 a night is pretty scary. Found an Airbnb but guests have been warned about the neighborhood after dark.

Any suggestions on where to stay within 15 minutes of the Hammond pier for $100 a night per room or less?

Thanks,
Jay

@Jayfarmlaw

I’m sorry, but I don’t know about the hotels. I only live about an hour away so I’ve never stayed down there.

I’m not likely going to be joining you. I’ve decided to probably take the whole weekend off. Rest, see non-diving friends, and so some stuff around the house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom