New diver seeking next dive trip suggestion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi
I live in Philly. Got PADI OW certified in 2013 in Bonaire ..went as a team from local dive shop.

I also dove in Hawaii went to like 80 feet. It was a two tank dive in kona with jack's diving.

I only have about 30 OW dives totally.

I'm looking for a nice dive location, trip with a good team next year. I'd rather dive in shallow and spend more time in about 30 feet. I prefer simple off shore dives next to the resort dive shop etc with easy access....with a mix of boat dives.

I don't want ALL shore dives like in bonaire since it gets strenuous in couple of days. I prefer a mix.

Can you guys suggest a site or a trip like that which involves nice marine life? Don't wanna do it all alone i do need a dive master for the boat dives.

Thanks a lot!
Kris

Try Roatan. Though there's plenty of boat dives on Bonaire. We were with Dive Friends Bonaire, they have several boat packages plus non-package trips like night dive at Salt Pier. I'm sure other ops do too. I mean, boat's the only way you can get to Klein.

Try Roatan. Though there's plenty of boat dives on Bonaire. We were with Dive Friends Bonaire, they have several boat packages plus non-package trips like night dive at Salt Pier. I'm sure other ops do too. I mean, boat's the only way you can get to Klein.
I stayed at sand dollar and bari reef was amazing. If i were to do it again I'd stay there just do salt pier, thecliff, bari reef and another site forgot the name. ...it was across another dive friends...hotels nearby, kids playing in the board walk.
It was an easy dive and easy to do a giant stride.

So is it safer to go with a dive team from here in US or hook up with a dive master there ie roatan,bonaire etc?

Is there a group that only does shallow dives?
Thx. ..

Curacao

Coco View at Roatan was very nice as a first trip for me. They did two boat dives then you swam in and dove their spectacular wall before walking of of the water on the beach.

It's always nice to dive with people you know and have dove with before, but if you tell the resort what your experience level is most resorts are not going to put you in an a site where you really need advanced skills. But listen to the briefing, look at the weather and if you don't think they are within your ability don't do the dive. You have the right to call a dive at any point, including before you get in the water.

What RJP said...for what you seemed to like about Bonaire, maybe one of the resorts on the south side of town. Lions Dive or the Sunscape AI both have Ocean Frontiers on-site for boat dives and a shore dive. Additionally there are 3 operations that will pick you up for guided shore dives elsewhere - the Dive Bus, Bas Harts Diving or Atlantis Diving. Atlantis also has apts. and a shore dive. And is near town. Walking distance - actually adjacent to Lions Dive - is: Curacao Beach Boulevard, shopping, dining and entertainment The Marriott Emerald Beach is another option - 2 miles north of downtown in Piscadera Bay. Caribbean Sea Sports on-site for boat dives and besides guided shore dives they also provide a guide for a night dive there once a week. All the good beaches also have dive operators on-site and at the popular ones like Porto Mari - we were asked two different days if someone could join us.

The only shore dives on Roatan are at the AI resorts. At all but one there's no walk-ins. And every one is isolated by distance or physical geography from any sort of nearby town. For a non-Ai option look at the shops/resorts in the West End or West Bay. There's only about a dozen dive operators on the main street in the West End and 3-4 resorts have their own - Seagrape Plantation, Splash Inn, Coconut Tree Divers, Half Moon Resort and probably a 1/2 dozen others I'm not thinking of. Similar situation in West Bay which also has the best beach - Los Rocas, Henry Morgan, Bananarama, all have their own shop. As do others. Plus there's about 6 shops within walking distance of any of the resorts if you don't like yours. Every boat dive will have a DM in the water.

One other advantage to the AI resorts is that you will dive off the same boat the entire time. So you get to meet all your fellow divers. Plus eat meals with them, shore dive in the later afternoons etc. Airport shuttles also - you don't need a car. Which isn't the best idea on Roatan anyway due to "interesting" liability when you hit something.

Everything is walking distance in the West End so the only transport expense is the cab ride from the airport ($25) plus a few local cab rides - all under $15. In that area there's literally no reason for a car - there's a water taxi between the West End and West Bay - it also stops at further resorts like Luna Beach. 80% of the nightlife/restaurants are in the West End also - and all the loud bars with music. No shore dives but boat dives are 10/$350.

Last edited:
I would also like to suggest Utila. It is all boat diving and you need to book yourself into a small plane which lands in the middle of a Banana field. It is quite an entertaining trip. Diving is better than Bonaire IMHO. I have not been to Roatan to compare yet. Next month I will be there so I will know for sure. Cozumel is also a place you might want to look into.

I would recommend Cozumel. Stay at The Blue Angel Resort and dive with their shop. You can shore dive right in front of the hotel. The BA is a "diver's resort" meaning that it's mainly divers who stay there. It's not fancy at all, but it's one of the cleanest places I've stayed. The prices are very reasonable and if you buy a dive package, breakfast is included. They have a good restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's an easy walk into town for great restaurants, and Coz has some really good ones. We've stayed there many times and have met wonderful people who love to dive and stay at the BA. You'll find there are divers there who are by themselves as well as couples, groups, etc. There's always a dive master in the water with you because most dives are in the marine park. The dives are terrific....clear water, beautiful formations, abundant sea life, etc. If you are interested in getting other certifications like AOW or Nitrox, they also have instructors on site. You can't go wrong staying a The Blue Angel and diving in Cozumel.

I have never dived in Aruba, but since you mentioned that you like shallow dives you might look into it, because I believe they offer a lot of shallow dive options.

I am a big fan of the Caymans. The Cobalt Coast resort on Grand Cayman offers both shore and boat dives. Starting December 1st the dive operation will be Reef Divers and they offer valet diving services that are easy, not at all strenuous - you won't have to carry your equipment.

Grand Cayman offers more topside attractions, but the diving is better off Cayman Brac - and even better off of Little Cayman. The Cayman Brac Beach Resort and the Little Cayman Beach Resort are small, diver-dedicated all-inclusive resorts. Reef Divers is the onsite dive op and valet dive services are included. They don't offer shore dives but most of the dives are wall dives that start pretty shallow, so you can stay at the top of the wall.

One consideration at any of the resorts is the Single Supplement since it sounds like you are one. At some resorts it's up to 55% of the double occupancy rate - at others like Cocoview I think it's $200 - assuming a room not a cabana also. Some resorts like Sunset House on Grand Cayman periodically offer an a single rate discount also - room/diving/breakfast for several hundred dollars less than their published single occupancy rate. Listed on their specials page when they're offering it. Dinner is there or a short walk to Georgetown. Which is actually pleasant once the cruisers leave - there's a few good restaurants downtown.

In Roatan's West End most of the resorts are lodging only with affiliated operator discount so there is no single supplement charged - you pay for the room not PP and diving is an add-on. Decent, clean 1BR apt's start around $60/nt.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom