New diver, new dive gear, thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Planedriver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am new on here and to Scuba. I decided to pickup a mask, snorkel, fins, boot deal from my dive shop. They have a pool which i liked since what felt best in water was not my first land choices.

I ended with a Cressi Evolution Mask
Akona Semidry Snorkel
Pro Dive Boots
Scubapro Jetsport Fins.

I am totally new to gear so I took the sales guys advice. Normally I research the pants off of everything before i buy it. I was time resticted. I really like my stuff so far. Better than rental stuff.

When the time comes to get a Reg and BC, ill know whats out there.

Cheers

If the mask fits and is comfortable then it's the best one out there regardless of price or brand. A $200 mask that does not fit is junk for the person that buys it.
If you are comfortable with the snorkel - cool. You may find that once you are out diving for awhile that it just gets in the way. Mine did. That's why now I will only use one that I can get off quick and roll or fold up and put in a pocket.
Boots are boots. Again if they fit, good deal.
Fins look like a recreational variation of the jet fin. Simple paddle design with vents. - Good choice. I'd have went for the standard jets myself but that is personal preference.

When you go for regs and BC's don't limit yourself to one brand or model. This time do your research and consider value as well. The most expensive is not always the best and the less expensive may be the best choice for you in every area. There is no junk gear out there now.

For basic personal equipment, I can't add anymore to what Jim stated.

For BC & Reg, I suggest hold out until you get more dives. Once you know what kinds of diving you want to do, buy the right setup. You don't want to buy into something blindly then realize they are not what you wanted. This is speaking from my personal experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom