New Diver needs fin advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

IÃÎ intrigued by these Mor-Fins based on what has been written. The problem for me is that I am not in the US and wonÃÕ be for awhile. IÃÍl be diving in Malaysia in two weeks and then in Australia in July (diving in NSW and then Cairns). I donÃÕ suppose you could recommend dive shops in either of these places that rent these fins for trial? IÃÎ willing to give them a go to see if maybe they are right for me. IÃ×e wanted to try a pair since I saw some in Anilao in the Philippines last year, but it just hasnÃÕ happened yet.

Cheers!

I have no idea who would have these fins in that part of the world. I'd recommend contacting Mor-Fins directly and see what they say. They do come with a money back guarantee so maybe you can order up a pair. Mention my name and you might even get a small break on the price. I hope you get a chance to try them for yourself on your next dive excursion. I can't say enough good things about these fins. They are even compact in size so travelling with them is easier than most other fin types.

www.mor-fin.com

Can you explain what you're trying to say here? I don't understand this sentence.

Sure, the Jets have similar static thrust and speed to the mor-fins, but the Jets had much greater control

What about the tail???? That doesn't match at all!
The OUTLINE is almost exact, and if you put duct tape to make the blade continuous, dumping the tail thing, the fin actually improves.

You should have also noticed that Force Fins are curved concave. (Mor-Fins are flat and tapered to the edges.) This curvature forces your feet to twist when you move the fins side to side. If you fight the twist you will instantly feel the drag as the fin blade 'folds'. I prefer fins that don't drag or fold up on me. Mor-Fins have practically no drag what so ever. Side to side, back and forth, any direction. Try for yourself.

first, no fins work by moving them side to side,

of course FF are concave, but then so is a real whale tail and so are fish tails, if you actually watch a whale swim you will see that they flex their tails and nearly match the shape of the ForceFins.

But then all of this is off point, and its a pointless discussion that will never be settled, since no matter how scientific and reproducable the results, none of it means anything to the individual diver, each of whom has his/her own preferences as to what a fin "should" feel like and ultimately that is the only thing that matters to them, and in person expirience is the only way to convince anyone of anything.

Wow!!! I think we should just have a cage-match bt the FF and M-F guys. JK. But would be helpful, and might help settle this debate, is if you guys posted videos demonstrating your fins' high points. I'm actually interested in buying a pair of compact, lightweight fins, and both seem to fit this criteria. But I also would like real performance, manuverablility, and efficiency. The bickering back-and-forth is not helping me choose--it's simply confusing me more. What's worse, is neither company is found in LDS in my area, so I have no way of trying them out objectively. I appreciate that you all are so passionate about your fins, but since it's a personal choice and so many people do fine with so many different types, why not back up what you are saying? Where is the video of frog-kicks, backing up, stopping, treading, turning, surface swimming? I want to see some figure 8's or something. I don't dive in a straight line, so I need agility.

Meesier, you were nice enough to answer an earlier post of mine in another thread. Shaka could you please do the same for me? I am wondering on the dimensions of the Mor-fins and the weight of the Power Delfins, since I'm guessing they would be the lightest. I might just have to buy both and take them to my LDS' pool, but that means someone will be getting product returned to them. This seems like such a hassle for all invlolved, but without visual proof I don't know how else to solve this debate. Thank you for reading this, and kudos to both companies for making American products, thereby contolling the quality and keeping our people employed.

P.S. I don't care about the way either looks, and anyone who makes fun of either company,
because the fins don't look traditional, should think about how we look--period--with tanks
strapped to our backs and our "two tails..." If we didn't innovate our sport wouldn't even
exist. There is nothing traditional about S.C.U.B.A.

To cut in for a moment, I used the Mor-Fin while diving in Maui with Doug and I really liked them. If you check their site, they will accept returns within 30 days, so you could buy the fins, try them while diving and return them if you don't like them. This seems to me to be a way for you to decide for yourself. Do they work? I personally thought they were a gimmick when I first read about them, but I tried them on 4 dives last week and though I didn't think they were any better than my normal fins, they certainly weren't worse. I could go just as fast as with my regular fins, so I saw no difference there. I did notice that I needed to make longer, slower kicks rather than shorter, faster kicks. Their main advantage in my opinion is that they are smaller and therefore 1) more maneuverable and 2) Will pack into luggage more easily.

We can argue till we are all blue in the face about what's better, what sucks, my-kid-is-smarter-than-your-kid etc but it doesn't matter in the least. Try things out and decide for yourself. For instance, I love diving with a snorkle as I can use it while waiting on the surface to conserve my air or after a dive on the swim back to shore (when running low on air). My wife hates diving with hers because it smacks her on the head while diving. The simple fact is that not everyone is going to like the same gear, that's cool.

Back
Top Bottom