New Diver needs fin advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had good luck with my Force Fins. I've been able to keep up with and pass other divers, swim in a strong current, and look different enough to get picked out in a murky dive.

Your legs will still occasionally cramp up.

I have tried a few other fins in courses, but I don't have the disposable cash to buy several types of fins just to see if they're better / worse.

Where are Mor-Fins made?
The price seems pretty good. If they are made in the USA I will give them an honest try.
I am a Force Fin Diver myself and love the many pair I have.
I also have some Cressi's and Avanti Quattros but, don't care for them.

The new Mor-Fins are being made in the USA as far as I know. They are pretty indestructible. The older ones were made in Malaysia, not China. The owner of the company will be molding these in California from now on I heard at DEMA.

I did try Mor-Fins out about 6-8 months ago, I believe they were the Pro version (I remember the guy said they have 3 steel bands in them), I was significantly less than impressed. They matched the speed of Jets but did not provide the any where near the manueverability of Jets. But that is a long ways back speed of ForceFins and Apollo Bio-XT and they were no where near are comfortable and I expirienced a day ending cramp in the left calf from them, which is really odd for me, as I never cramp like that, even with Jets.

The quote from the photographer, I wish I could remember his name, was just weeks ago, at the inagural DC Dive Show, in Sept 2008.

The really surprising thing to me, was when I laid the Mor-Fin on top of my ForceFin and it matched the outline, pretty much exactly. Since I took notes of that testing, 20 meter sprints and static load test
ForceFin Pro- average 12 seconds, and 52# of thrust
Mor-Fin (Pro?)- average 14 seconds, and 38# of thrust
No fins at all- average 18 seconds, and 29#

I have to chime in here and give a vote for Mor-Fins. These fins are simply amazing. The guy who invented them is really on to something and still no-one seems to get it yet. When I dive with them they feel as though they grew out of my feet. Minimum drag, great thrust and extremely high maneuverability. No splits can compare. There is no 'cleaner' fin on the market.

I've been a pro diver since 1985. For years I dove with what was known as the best fins (scubapro jets, mares quattros, rondines, dacor turbo-flex, etc, etc.). I was never really happy with any of them though. There was always a lot of 'drag' that came with them. Any fin that has ribs down the sides has lots of drag. Any fin that has channels has lots of drag. Any fin that has holes or is split has even more drag. Don't believe me? Try moving the fin side to side in water. You'll feel it right away. Compare that to a Mor-Fin. There is no comparison.

Spring straps... now that's an extra $50-60 bucks you can save buy simply adjusting your straps properly. I have dove with tens of thousands of certified divers over the last 25 years of working in the scuba business. My conservative estimate is that at least 75% of them wear both their fin and/or mask straps too tight. If you have the proper tension on your straps they will be comfortable and they will doff and don easily. They also won't break. I have over 600 logged dives on my MorFins and the straps look brand new, no cracking or other signs of fatigue. And my mask has over 2,000 logged dives and I could trade in that strap as brand new if I had too. Why does everyone go so tight? I'll never know...but when I show them they are too tight they try readjusting and then come back saying they've never been so comfortable in the water before! Go figure!

Everyone is correct in advising you to look for comfort in your fin. Noone has mentioned Mor-Fins probably because they are still brand new on the market and most people haven't experienced them yet. I can get you a deal on a pair if you'd like. Mention my name when you talk with the company and buy a pair direct. Do any test you want with them against any other fin you like. Mor-Fins are slippery (like fish are slippery) and they simply move you the best.

For fins that feel like they grew on you, get a pair of Mor-Fins! There's a paradigm shift getting ready to happen in scuba. Just like everyone copied the splits years ago, they will soon be copying the Mor-Fins tail design. Watch! I know this because I dive almost every day.

Ok so if Mor-Fins are still brand new on the market how have you managed to log 600 dives with them???

Thanks for all of the replies. Rodales Scuba diving online has some good reviews and tests to compare and last time I looked there was a Mares brand fin listed as the favorite. Personally I have not liked the spring straps as much as the comfy rubber strap on my 25 yr old XL jet fins. I bought springs but they hurt my ankles after a short while so I dont use them anymore.

Thanks for asking. I got some of the very first pairs made and I dive an average of over three hundred dives a year. (Check out my world record logbook in the Divers Almanac and World Records book.) I used the Mor-Fin VT300's in the very beginning. I got them at DEMA 2006 from the Mor-Fins booth. (That's when I met the owner of the company, John Melius.) A few months later I got a pair of the XL American Delfins. Now I have just recently started using the XXL natural rubber Delfins. They are the heaviest and most sturdiest of all so far. I never tried the spring loaded ones and am unsure if they will even be making those much any more.

Mor-Fins is a very new company in the grand scheme of things but something like this can take years to develop and get into the mainstream world market. I've been watching them chug along for over two years now myself. If you never heard of them then they are Brand new to you. People laugh at these fins, just like they laugh at Force-Fins. Something in their mind says it's too far fetched to really work or it's a gimmick. Oh well, I tell them to get over it. Evolution gave the powerful, fast fish fins like the morfins shape and they live in the water all the time....they can move so quickly and efficiently because they have minimal resistance.

Mor-Fins are very easy to kick and they work well and they are priced reasonably. I never got cramps from them ever. I have taught many thousands of folks to scuba over the years. Something that has always baffled me is the many different ways people kick. I instruct them on proper technique but so many times they simply suck at kicking paddle or split type fins. Now that I'm putting Mor-Fins on all my divers I see this kicking problem going away. It turns out that people are bad kickers becuse the fins are hard for them to kick. Give them fins that are easy to kick and watch how they immediately improve which makes them more comfortable, and therefore better, divers.

There are a lot of stubborn people who are set in their ways. I like to keep an open mind and try new things. I have been very happy with many of the opportunities I have been able to take advantage of due to this mindset. If I had dismissed the Mor-Fins from the beginnning like most people out there I would still be working way harder underwater to achieve the same results I'm getting now.

I know what works for me and it may not work for you but you would be wise to give them a try. I'm no rookie diver and I've made many, many side by side comparisons with many other brands and types of fins. If you decline to try the Mor-fins then go be happy paying more and kicking harder to make the same dive as me. It's your money and your energy and if you don't mind spending it then more power to you. I'll dive side by side with you though and let's see who comes back with more air and less fatigue. I already own a dozen pair, I'm pretty much set for life in the fin department.

... They matched the speed of Jets but did not provide the any where near the manueverability of Jets. But that is a long ways back speed of ForceFins and Apollo Bio-XT and they were no where near are comfortable and I expirienced a day ending cramp in the left calf from them, which is really odd for me, as I never cramp like that, even with Jets.

Can you explain what you're trying to say here? I don't understand this sentence.

The really surprising thing to me, was when I laid the Mor-Fin on top of my ForceFin and it matched the outline, pretty much exactly.

What about the tail???? That doesn't match at all!

You should have also noticed that Force Fins are curved concave. (Mor-Fins are flat and tapered to the edges.) This curvature forces your feet to twist when you move the fins side to side. If you fight the twist you will instantly feel the drag as the fin blade 'folds'. I prefer fins that don't drag or fold up on me. Mor-Fins have practically no drag what so ever. Side to side, back and forth, any direction. Try for yourself.

Shaka Doug

I’m intrigued by these Mor-Fins based on what has been written. The problem for me is that I am not in the US and won’t be for awhile. I’ll be diving in Malaysia in two weeks and then in Australia in July (diving in NSW and then Cairns). I don’t suppose you could recommend dive shops in either of these places that rent these fins for trial? I’m willing to give them a go to see if maybe they are right for me. I’ve wanted to try a pair since I saw some in Anilao in the Philippines last year, but it just hasn’t happened yet.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom