New Diver needs fin advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boatdude

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a new diver. (22 dives to date woohoo!). I own a pair of Scuba Max FN-368 Aeros. In short, I despise them. My legs fatigue quickly, I am prone to leg cramping, and air-hogging. I tried my instructor's Scuba Pro twin jets, and I found those much more enjoyable. So I decided that split-fins are probably for me. I've read a lot of reviews on fins, split, and standard. I have read multiple responses to other people's fin questions on this site. I have read and heard that splits don't perform well in current, I don't deal with much current where I dive. I guess split fins ease kicking burden by sacrificing tork? I've read a lot about Apollo Bio Pros. Are they as good as advertised? Has anyone worn them and can compare them to other splits for me? Or would I be better off with an other brand? If I could save money but ease the burden on my chicken legs that would be great. I can get Aeris Velocity Duos for a very good price, would that be a better choice? Or should I not even consider splits? And are spring straps a good idea? I am sorry to ask such a loaded question, but I need a lot of advice, I don't know much about the brands and products out there. I don't know what is quality, and what performs, what is overpriced, and what a deal looks like yet. Hence my joining this site. Experienced divers help me! Any input on anything I said is appreciated, thank you.

First, springs are some of the best investments you will ever make. They are much easier to put on and take off. You don't need to adjust them and they flex when you push hard which will reduce your cramping. Both me and my wife use the Tusa split fins and when we put the springs on hers, the cramping went away. You might try that before you spend more money on new fins.

If you are dead set on getting new fins, the primary concern is how well the foot pocket fits your foot and boots. It can be a great set of fins, but if the foot pocket is not a good fit they are not the right fins for you. The Atomic fins' pocket was too wide for me, the Scubapro fins cramped my foot from top to bottom. I bought the fin that fit the best, it happened to be the Tusa's.

Hi, Boat-Dude!

Welcome to the Board!

I dive a pair of heavier Scuba Pro Jet fins (the ones that aren’t split). I love them! They perform very well in all conditions, and they are great if and when I need to negotiate a current. In my case, the heaviness of these fins helps keep my posture in the water better than lighter fins do.

As it turns out, I dove with a friend who has the Scuba Pro Jet split fins. He wears the same size shoe as me, so we decided to switch for one dive. I was surprised at how heavy his were as well. I had it in my head that split fins tend to be lighter. They were great, but I did feel that there was less thrust to them in current than mine. However, one down side to my Jet fins is that they can be cumbersome in swim through openings or with wrecks. I need to be extra careful not to kick up soot or disturb coral. Sometimes it feels as though I am a bull in a china shop if I am not paying attention. Once I got used to this, it has been less a problem though.

I also tried the Bio fins you referenced. They are very good, I must say. Though much lighter than my fins, they had good propulsion and they were good for navigating tight spaces. One thing to be wary of. Both styles of Scuba Pro Jet fins are heavy, so flying weight becomes an issue.

I totally agree with Driftwood. The spring purchase is the way to go! The fins go on so easily, something you quickly learn to appreciate when on a crowded, clumsy boat.

Good luck!

My wife had probems with cramping so she bought a pair of splits and hasn't had problems since.

I tried her splits and promptly went and bought myself a pair too. As to the current thing ... I have not noticed any problem with them, but I guess it depends on how strong the current is.

The only thing I will say is that splits require a different finning technique and if you do get in a current and try to power through it (ie forget your technique) you will have problems.

it's all about fit and finning style, some ppl swear by split, some swear by force fins, and others stick to the good ole jetfins. personally i have the jetfin for 18 yrs and still using the same pair I got in 1991!, i also have the apollo bio-fin, but i never really got used to them. but recently I have the pleasure of testing the Holllis F1 fin, it gives me the heavy thrust of the jetfin, but also gives me the ability to do a proper surface fin which i find hard to do in a jetfin.

best advice is find a LDS that has a pool and will allow you to try a few fins to find one that suits your style or try to borrow some fins from friends, etc before you commit to buying a fin or they might end up turning you off diving :)

I had problems with cramping using paddle fins for years. About 6 years ago I bought my first set of Tusa's and it went away. One dive (Vista Blue on Bonaire for those that know it) we were caught in a stiff enough current that it was bending over the sea fans/soft corals. I still was able to kick my way up-current back to the exit but it was a lot of work.

For general diving I prefer my splits, I traded fins with a DM buddy a couple years ago so she could try them, by the end of the dive I could feel it in my calf muscles - otoh, she didn't feel like she could move with my splits. I may've not explained the change in kick style necessary though.

I'm on my second pair of Tusa's - needed a bigger pocket with hard-sole boots - and I still like them. I think some of the black Tusa's are made of a stiffer compound also if that's of interest.

All of the better split-fins are overpriced as they all license the Nature's Wing technology at what I'm guessing is a pretty stiff fee. Tusa's have always been around $129-149, just before Christmas some online dealers had them for $89. LeisurePro currently has the standard model - SF-8 for $69: http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/TBTF8L.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=TBTF8LR with free shipping. Which seems like a smoking deal since you don't need a fin warranty typically. I bought my last set from them but paid well over $100.

Mrs DS and I have used the Bio Split fins for years and love them. No more cramping and knee stress, plus they still kick into a current.

I haven't tried the other brands of split fins, so I can't tell you how the Bios compare.

Thanks for starting the thread, I picked up a good pointer on the spring straps. Woo-hoo, another piece of kit to buy!!!

DS

I have to chime in here and give a vote for Mor-Fins. These fins are simply amazing. The guy who invented them is really on to something and still no-one seems to get it yet. When I dive with them they feel as though they grew out of my feet. Minimum drag, great thrust and extremely high maneuverability. No splits can compare. There is no 'cleaner' fin on the market.

I've been a pro diver since 1985. For years I dove with what was known as the best fins (scubapro jets, mares quattros, rondines, dacor turbo-flex, etc, etc.). I was never really happy with any of them though. There was always a lot of 'drag' that came with them. Any fin that has ribs down the sides has lots of drag. Any fin that has channels has lots of drag. Any fin that has holes or is split has even more drag. Don't believe me? Try moving the fin side to side in water. You'll feel it right away. Compare that to a Mor-Fin. There is no comparison.

Spring straps... now that's an extra $50-60 bucks you can save buy simply adjusting your straps properly. I have dove with tens of thousands of certified divers over the last 25 years of working in the scuba business. My conservative estimate is that at least 75% of them wear both their fin and/or mask straps too tight. If you have the proper tension on your straps they will be comfortable and they will doff and don easily. They also won't break. I have over 600 logged dives on my MorFins and the straps look brand new, no cracking or other signs of fatigue. And my mask has over 2,000 logged dives and I could trade in that strap as brand new if I had too. Why does everyone go so tight? I'll never know...but when I show them they are too tight they try readjusting and then come back saying they've never been so comfortable in the water before! Go figure!

Everyone is correct in advising you to look for comfort in your fin. Noone has mentioned Mor-Fins probably because they are still brand new on the market and most people haven't experienced them yet. I can get you a deal on a pair if you'd like. Mention my name when you talk with the company and buy a pair direct. Do any test you want with them against any other fin you like. Mor-Fins are slippery (like fish are slippery) and they simply move you the best.

For fins that feel like they grew on you, get a pair of Mor-Fins! There's a paradigm shift getting ready to happen in scuba. Just like everyone copied the splits years ago, they will soon be copying the Mor-Fins tail design. Watch! I know this because I dive almost every day.

Apollo Bio-Fins and Atomic Split are simply the best splits on the market, and you don't give up anything in terms of speed or torque to use them, you do however give up some manueverability. Still great fins, expect to pay $180-$200 per pair.

Jets and Hollis Fin, both good fins, not the speed demons nor are they particularly comfortable on the calves, feet, knees, but they are good for frog kicking and excellent in the manuevering arena, they are cheaper, $65-$80 for Jets, I am not sure about the Hollis, but the Hollis has a much more comfortable foot pocket so its probably worth the cash.

Mor-fins- well do a search on this site, you will find well over 100 post that he was posted claiming how good they are, what's interesting, is that you won't find many people agreeing with him

Mares- Avanti Quattros, or Quattro Excel, or whatever others that Mares makes are all very good fins, are fairly comfortable, have good speed and thrust.

Other options- ForceFins
I personally love ForceFins and have been using them for 10+ years now, they are more flexible than Jets and have virtually no tactile feedback from them. In ten years, I have part of about 4 test on fins, and read 2-3 scientific studies that all showed that the ForceFin Pro will match the speed of the Atomic Splits and the Apollo Bio-XT, but you don't sacrifice any manueverability and you don't get the calf cramps that are common with Jets. The big thing that I notice is the significant improvement in air consumption and absolute lack of discomfort. Price wise they are similar to the Atomics ~$200
To quote a professional photographer from the DC Dive show giving a seminar on u/w photography, when asked "what is the single easiest thing I can do to improve my photos?" he responded "go buy ForceFins" and he moved on.

Apollo Bio-Fins and Atomic Split are simply the best splits on the market, and you don't give up anything in terms of speed or torque to use them, you do however give up some manueverability. Still great fins, expect to pay $180-$200 per pair.

Jets and Hollis Fin, both good fins, not the speed demons nor are they particularly comfortable on the calves, feet, knees, but they are good for frog kicking and excellent in the manuevering arena, they are cheaper, $65-$80 for Jets, I am not sure about the Hollis, but the Hollis has a much more comfortable foot pocket so its probably worth the cash.

Mor-fins- well do a search on this site, you will find well over 100 post that he was posted claiming how good they are, what's interesting, is that you won't find many people agreeing with him

Mares- Avanti Quattros, or Quattro Excel, or whatever others that Mares makes are all very good fins, are fairly comfortable, have good speed and thrust.

Other options- ForceFins
I personally love ForceFins and have been using them for 10+ years now, they are more flexible than Jets and have virtually no tactile feedback from them. In ten years, I have part of about 4 test on fins, and read 2-3 scientific studies that all showed that the ForceFin Pro will match the speed of the Atomic Splits and the Apollo Bio-XT, but you don't sacrifice any manueverability and you don't get the calf cramps that are common with Jets. The big thing that I notice is the significant improvement in air consumption and absolute lack of discomfort. Price wise they are similar to the Atomics ~$200
To quote a professional photographer from the DC Dive show giving a seminar on u/w photography, when asked "what is the single easiest thing I can do to improve my photos?" he responded "go buy ForceFins" and he moved on.

I know you like your Force Fins ( I like them too) but have you ever actually dove with MorFins Mr. Meesier? Please don't be afraid to but be warned, for they will forever change the way you will think about kicking fins underwater. Smooth like Force Fins but better on the side to side. They don't force your feet to twist like Force Fins do. Try side to side kicks and compare the two.

I've found that Force Fins and splits force a quicker kick rhythm on me too so I like the slower, silky-smooth kick style with Mor-Fins over Forces or Splits. I like my heartbeat and breathing rate to be slow on my dives. Mor-Fins allow this like regular paddle fins without the bounce in the kick like you get from sling shots.

Yes, I've posted a lot about Mor-Fins and no-one else really has. You say 100 posts. So what? However, I haven't seen anyone disagree with my posts about Mor-Fins. I'm pretty much the only guy that even talks about them still. Someone has to get the word out. Mor-Fins are the new kid on the block in the fin world. You post a lot about Force Fins. Big deal. I have dove with both brands, side by side. I like the Mor-Fins better, I like the company, and I like the way they make my legs feel in the water. You want to be part fish? Start with fish fins on your feet my friend! All my divers say they love them. Remember, these are only on the market a couple years. They're up against some big players. Jet Fins have been around for 40! The quickest fish in the sea have this MorFin design. That's because evolution in it's kaizen ways constantly tried for perfection. It is only just now that we can buy them and put them to use on our own feet.

+ Mor-Fins are also considerably less expensive than most of the fins you've suggested.

+ Mor-Fins are available with or without straps so you can add on your own springs or whatever if you want to (I see no need to change from the original equipment, very
good strap design).

You mention right in your post that you give up maneuveraability with splits. Why give up maneuverability in the first place?? And pay almost $200 for that privilige?? I have the best maneuverability I've ever had in my life with Mor-Fins.

I think Mor-Fins are the best fin on the market. I have done my own evaluations and am quite confident that I would prefer my Mor-Fins over any other fin for recreational diving and snorkeling. Nothing else compares for efficiency, comfort, style, price, durability, or ease of kick in my book.

When you quote the photograher, realize, that was probably uttered years before Mor-Fins we're even available. That's a quote I would tell my divers now. What's one single, easy, way to improve your diving instantly? Buy Mor-Fins!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom