New diver, looking to get geared up for about $1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Predator81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm not going to buy a wet suit yet but I do need everything else.

I've been looking at scuba packages on LeasurePro and ScubaToys. If I only want to spend around $1000 is it better to go with a scuba package in which everything is the same brand or am I better off picking and choosing my own gear?

So far this is what I'm thinking about getting

All Oceanic BCD & Regulator Package

Hollis Tec Package

Any thoughts or advice on what I should buy and from where would be greatly appreciated.

Well, $1000 bucks is tough but I'll give it a try:

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo
- Add a Bolt Snap? 3"
- Add a Hog SPG 2" White Face
- Add an Octo Hose Yes
- Add an SPG Hose? 24" HP
- Add D1 Second Stage Yes
- Coldwater First Stage Yes
- First Stage Yoke
- Primary Phantom Hose Length 84"
- Second Stage D1 Second Stage
$434.97
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System
- Backplate Hog Stainless Steel
- Elite 2 Harness Size None
- Harness Light Monkey DIR
- Highland Metal Tank Straps 2
- Hog STA Yes
- Web My Harness No
$359.99

That's $800 for your core BCD, Regs and SPG. You will still need

Mask HOG Gear Tech Diver Mask - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL $40

(For the rest... try to find things on craigslist, ebay, ect )
Fins (I picked up my Hollis F1's used for $75 )
Wirst mount Computer http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1985/Context_954/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/Filter_flid_1985_3%3d2003%3aflid_1985_2% 3d2000/Page_1/AERXRNXW.html $200

So that would put you around $1100 for 'everything'. Of course in Scuba you never have 'everything'. You'll want a reel, SMB, defogger, tanks, wetsuit, boots, hood, gloves and so on. But this should put you in a really solid direction for a very good price.

I would pick and choose and save some money. IF you know what you like already. If not, I would by cheap used stuff until I did and then shop around for new stuff.

Edge/HOG from Diver Right in Scuba or Jim Lapenta is where I would go for regs. I bought my BCD on ebay brand new and got it for about half of retail from a recognized shop that also has a brick and mortar store.

LOTS of deals out there. Take your time and KNOW what you want and what you are doing before spending your money.

I built a set for you on DRIS. Here are the components...

Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

On the reg package I added another D1 second, octo hose, spg, and spg hose. I figured since you were new, you'd want to go with yoke instead of din. For the BP/W package, I just left it as it was.

Total for that is $791.96, and that leaves some money left over for your mask, fins, boots, and a computer. With adding all that stuff, you're going to be a bit over your $1000.00, but not by much. Plus this gear will last you for a very long time, and is highly customizable for your future diving plans.

Plus, you can't go wrong by using DRIS for all your scuba needs.

Anyone else here agree with my recommendation?

I had you beat with the exact suggestion by 5 minutes. :)

Lol, at least we think the same way. You must have posted it when I was building the package.

i vote 'used'!

i vote 'used'!

I bought used, but ended up buying everything else again a few months later. I bought a jacket bc and some oceanic regs, but turned around and bought the DRIS bp/w package. If I would have known,I would have went right for the bp/w. I did get my atomic regs used off craigslist though.

FWIW, the folks here will steer you towards a BP/W system. They are not wrong.

They are not wrong, but if your goal is diving on minimum dollars, you can go cheaper.

Basic scuba kit: $480

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Mares_Axis_Aeris_BC_Pak

Add personal gear: $190

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HollisTecPak

If you plan on diving locally you will need a weight ($50ish at a minimum), at least one tank ($190), weight belt, etc. (another $50?).

As you can see, it would be possible to get everything for under $1100.

Choices, choices. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom