New Diver Looking for Equipment Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbs129

Reaction score
Really new to scuba. Just in the process of completing the Open Water course through SDI.

As I am fairly green on the equipment aspect of the sport, I am lloking for some advice on the basic scuba equipment. I have done a lot of reading on the internet. There is a lot of good advice, along with a lot of bias opinions and advertisements (seems ro be the same re every topic on the internet).

I am not looking to go cheap, but I am not ready to blow the budget at this time. Just looking for some quality sport diving equipment with a budget in mind. As I live in Newfoundland, Canada, most/if not all my diving will be diving in North Atlantic conditions.

As I prefer a wetsuit, I have already purchased a Pinnicle 2 piece 7mm with the 7mm hood, gloves and boots. In addition, as it is the best fit, I have decided on the ScubaPro Spectra Mask and Scubapro JetSport fins.

Here are some of the other items that I have considered:

-As I prefer the weight integrated BCD, I have been looking at the Oceanic OceanPro and Aerius Atmos LX.
-Aerius AT400 Ion with DVT or the Oceanic Delta 4 Regulator.
-Oceanic Slimline 2 or Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo.
-Oceanic Veo 1.0 Air/Nitrox Navcon computer.

I realize that many internet suppliers and local dive shops offer many of thes items as mix and match packages. However, are there any opinions, goog or bad, on these items for a basic scuba set-up? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am lloking for some advice on the basic scuba equipment. I have done a lot of reading on the internet. There is a lot of good advice, along with a lot of bias opinions and advertisements ...
Of course, what you get on SB is entirely unbiased, factual, and logic-based. :wink: But, since you asked for opinions and suggestions ...
As I prefer a wetsuit, I have already purchased a Pinnicle 2 piece 7mm with the 7mm hood, gloves and boots.
Good suit. A question - why do you 'prefer a wetsuit'? Other than the cost differential, which would be perfectly understandable, diving where you will be diving is a great prescription for a drysuit.
As I prefer the weight integrated BCD, I have been looking at the Oceanic OceanPro and Aerius Atmos LX.
Both units are quality equipment. Again the question - why do you 'prefer the weight integrated BCD'?
Aerius AT400 Ion with DVT or the Oceanic Delta 4 Regulator.
Oceanic Slimline 2 or Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo.
Oceanic Veo 1.0 Air/Nitrox Navcon computer.
All good equipment. I would personally select the Alpha 8 over the Slimline, but that is a slight preference based on breathing performance. Also, I would definitely go with the Veo 1.0 - a good, simple, reasonably priced computer, by the way - as a wrist-mounted, rather than console-mounted, unit. I wouldn't pay extra for a DVT regulator - nothing wrong with it, just an unnecessary feature. Yes, it is advertised as 'one of the most significant innovations in regulator technology in recent history', but that is a statement that at the very least aggressively skirts the frontiers of believability.
I realize that many internet suppliers and local dive shops offer many of thes items as mix and match packages.
My general suggestion is to stay away from package deals. Select the equipment you want, based on whatever criteria are important to you. Seldom will you find that the items in a pacakge are consistently what you prefer, and any money supposedly saved by buying a package is usually later spent adding on whatever you wanted in the first place, but didn't get in the package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom