New diver, looking at Suunto D5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure. Page 14 and 15 of the D5 manual: https://ns.suunto.com/Manuals/D5/Userguides/Suunto_D5_UserGuide_EN.pdf

Basic info (current depth, dive time) is still shown, but no more deco info.

This makes it most official. How terrible. They have the audacity to call it a "safety feature" still. I can't believe that it does it while you're still underwater.

It is like "you didn't stop for a stop sign, we are disabling your breaks for 48 hours during your trip (and you were trying to get your wife to the hospital to deliver a baby)"

Yeah, the manual for my Vyper Novo says the same. That's why I always followed what it was telling me so I wouldn't get locked out. But with the type of diving I do, that situation rarely occurred.

Suunto uses an algorithm that has one big design flaw (IMO): it locks out mid-dive if you ignore warnings for too long. Most computers will punish you AFTER the dive (by locking 24 or 48 hours or so), but mid-dive? That's throwing the towel like a difficult teenager. The one thing a dive computer should do is get you to the surface safely. Locking out does the opposite, IMO.

This is hard to believe, do you have something to support this, users manual..., would be glad to see it. I've never had a Suunto, never will, but folks tend to say some unsubstantiated things about the brand.

Sure. Page 14 and 15 of the D5 manual: https://ns.suunto.com/Manuals/D5/Userguides/Suunto_D5_UserGuide_EN.pdf

Basic info (current depth, dive time) is still shown, but no more deco info.
Hi @Cheizz

This is still very hard for me to believe, but you are absolutely correct. The computer will lock you out immediately if you miss a deco stop by more than 3 minutes.
1678800040751.png

1678800060269.png

This is unconscionable. Though one should not miss a deco stop, you might need this information at a most critical time. This is a fatal flaw, Suunto is off my list. Many computers will put you into violation gauge mode when you surface after a missed deco stop, that is a much more reasonable policy.

**It is very interesting that when using Buhlmann on the Eon Steel, there is no immediate or delayed lock on the decompression algorithm after violating the decompression ceiling. Perhaps if Suunto migrates to Buhlmann, the algorithm lock will disappear. The algorithm lock appears to apply to computers running Suunto RGBM and Fused RGBM 2

Thanks for pointing this out

Hi @Cheizz

This is still very hard for me to believe, but you are absolutely correct. The computer will lock you out immediately if you miss a deco stop by more than 3 minutes.
View attachment 774440
View attachment 774441
This is unconscionable. Though one should not miss a deco stop, you might need this information at a most critical time. This is a fatal flaw, Suunto is off my list. Many computers will put you into violation gauge mode when you surface after a missed deco stop, that is a much more reasonable policy.

**It is very interesting that when using Buhlmann on the Eon Steel, there is no immediate or delayed lock on the decompression algorithm after violating the decompression ceiling. Perhaps if Suunto migrates to Buhlmann, the algorithm lock will disappear. The algorithm lock appears to apply to computers running Suunto RGBM and Fused RGBM 2

Thanks for pointing this out

I agree with you 100% but disagree with the Suunto way of doing things 1000%.

@StenieJ, in case you're still interested in Suunto... If you can weave a good story and you play your cards right, there's an abandoned D6i looking for a new home...but there's no telling how long you'll have to wait 'til it unlocks. :gas: :wink:

So it is documented they Suunto will lock up the computer for a missed required decompression. In the case of Shearwater according to the manual, a missed deco stop gives a yellow MISSED DECO warning during and after the dive and will flash the stop depth and time in red as long as you are above the stop depth. Is there anything further the computer does later on after the dive … or if the diver blows it all off and attempts to dive again? For this scenario assume the computer is in OC rec mode.

Most of these people have never even owned a Suunto but still feel the need to trash them. I have been diving a Suunto Cobra 1 for over 24 years and it has never failed me or locked me out and I am not a conservative diver. Just scroll down the threads to see how many times the beloved Shearwater has failed out of the box.
Had one myself (EON Core), dive buddy had a Suunto too. Both locked out mid-dive, not even violating deco stops. So yeah, I'm done with Suunto computers. Their compasses are great though.

Back
Top Bottom