New diver, looking at Suunto D5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. Got it. Suunto is no bueno.

This ^^^^^^ is a FAR SUPERIOR option and is most cost effective with much better features and MUCH longer battery charge.

Ratio iDive Color

& @Cheizz I don't see a distributor for the US for Ratio. The ones on eBay seem kind of sketchy. Thanks for the recommendations, I am going to keep searching & see if I can find an online shop that sells them.

Ok. Got it. Suunto is no bueno.

& @Cheizz I don't see a distributor for the US for Ratio. The ones on eBay seem kind of sketchy. Thanks for the recommendations, I am going to keep searching & see if I can find an online shop that sells them.
They do have a distributor in the US for certain:

I would suggest the Oceanic Geo Air or OCi. Both are AI, run a dual algorithm, and are rather inexpensive compared to other AI computers. I've been using an OCi for over 2 years and love it. It uses the same transmitter as Shearwater and a few other computers. Suunto is proprietary. And it's a Suunto.
I didn't mention the Oceanic computers because it seemed like @StenieJ wanted a color screen. I have been diving an Oceanic computer running DSAT since 2002, over 2200 dives. The Geo Air is a more modern computer (Bluetooth,,,). Oceanic has a discounted bundle of computer + transmitter for $800, a $150 savings. The OCi has been on sale for a very long time, I keep thinking it will be discontinued, who knows. It runs $900 for computer and transmitter

The Oceanic transmitter (PPS MH8A) is Shearwater computer compatible, very valuable feature if a future upgrade is in the plans.

Suunto uses an algorithm that has one big design flaw (IMO): it locks out mid-dive if you ignore warnings for too long. Most computers will punish you AFTER the dive (by locking 24 or 48 hours or so), but mid-dive? That's throwing the towel like a difficult teenager. The one thing a dive computer should do is get you to the surface safely. Locking out does the opposite, IMO.
This is hard to believe, do you have something to support this, users manual..., would be glad to see it. I've never had a Suunto, never will, but folks tend to say some unsubstantiated things about the brand.

They do have a distributor in the US for certain:

I've seen this before and looked. The Edge Hog website, Diver's Supply and DRIS appear to carry just the iX3M 2. Makes me wonder about availability and service

I've seen this before and looked. The Edge Hog website, Diver's Supply and DRIS appear to carry just the iX3M 2. Makes me wonder about availability and service

Ratio are exhibiting in several up coming dive shows in the US this year. One can ask them about it if they happen to be going to one of these shows.

It's definitely my preference, but open to all option. I know there are pros and cons to each
Oceanic computers run 2 deco algorithms, DSAT (liberal) and PZ+ (moderate, middle of the road). The Geo Air is probably the least expensive AI computer with transmitter.

My family has had a Geo 2 since 2010, I dived it as a backup, my son uses it now, great computer.

I see this a lot, but I don't really understand why. I am trying to educate myself on the differences (and not just go with what the salesman tells me to buy at the dive shop), what is the reason to stay away, and what should one look for in a dive computer.
Most of these people have never even owned a Suunto but still feel the need to trash them. I have been diving a Suunto Cobra 1 for over 24 years and it has never failed me or locked me out and I am not a conservative diver. Just scroll down the threads to see how many times the beloved Shearwater has failed out of the box.

I'll toss in my $0.02.

I dove my first 75 dives or so on the Oceanic ProPlus 4 and enjoyed the large numbers and bluetooth connectivity. It was a great computer to begin my venture into diving and has since been passed down to my 15 year old daughter who has put over 100 dives on it now in just under a year. It's as good as when I took it out of the box.

With that said, I switched over to the Garmin MK2i about a year ago and absolutely LOVE it. My dive/hiking buddy ran the Suunto prior to us both getting Garmins and he said he would never go back to the Suunto. The Garmin is both an everyday watch as well as fantastic fitness/sleep/stat tracker if you are into it. It is a rockstar underwater and performs flawlessly for me. The only issue I have had with it was i locked it out when I was using my metal detector on a treasure dive in one of our local dive sites, but my spg covered me for the remainder of the dive.

The MK2i or ProPlus 4.0 will serve you more than well. Give them both a good look! And enjoy being so close to Monterey! I drive there once or twice a month for the absolutely fantastic diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom