New diver, looking at gear packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am with Teamcasa. I would suggest hold off purchasing, at least not the entire package, go dive more, see how and what you like to dive. Soon, you will realize what you really want is very different than what you think you want now.

At Leisure Pro you shouldn't feel obligated to stick to the pre-selected packages, you also have the option to create your own package, fit to suit you!

I'm with the rest of the guys here, packages aren't usually as good as they seem. A lot of times you get odds n ends that didn't sell well.

I would also stay away from air integrated computers cus if the transmitter fails for one reason or another like low batteries you won't know how much air you got left... not a good situation.

SangP

Air integrated computers are GREAT!! My computer is hoseless so I have the convenience of having my info on my wrist which is means in view most of the time. Additionally, if you are on a computer that is NOT air integrated and it shuts off, you should end the dive anyway!! Just to be safe during ascent and stops, I simply added a small SPG that clips to my hip. Unless he means don't use a computer at all. Given the reliability of todays well known computers, that's crazy to me.

Buy stripped down equipment and look for closeout or demo model deals. Buy from a single source so you get the package price.

If your equipment has a feature on it you don't understand, research and see if you actually will need it. Most of the time you will find that a mask that fits properly, simple fins, computer that does EAN, BC that doesn't have a bunch of straps, handles, levers, etc and an entry level regulator from a main brand is all you will need for warm climates.

The used section of LP and ScubaToys are your friend and don't be affraid to haggle. I pitched an offer on the setup I wanted to ScubaToys that was almost 30% below their asking price and I got back a big yes.

actually Teamcasa, I really like the gear I bought, just wish I would have bought more :). That being said, I dont have that many dives, so once I get more experience, I may revisit this statement.
Trust me, and this is purely anecdotal, it seems that with each diving threshold, (Number of dives, different and additional training along with new types of diving styles) your dive gear gets recycled.

I highly doubt that there are many divers who have stayed active still use the gear they originally purchased. That's not a bad thing, it just happens. I also doubt there is anyway to stop it. Just look in the garages or spare rooms of divers with over 500 dives.:wink:

Dave, I am totally sure I will buy more stuff. I am absolutely satisfied with what I bought. I have had enough issues with rental stuff (not diving) that I have totally given up on renting stuff. Sometimes its good, sometimes not so.

I figgure it this way:

Vacation to mexico for my family is approximately $12k. Diving gear for my daughter and me (only 2 of us dive) ran around $3500 as a "self made" package from LP. We have used the gear for more than one trip now though so cant amortize it over just the one trip. So even if I say the gear was $1200/trip we are now in about the 10% of the total cost of the trip, and our gear is still in great shape.

With my own gear, I know the service interval, the condition, and am responsible for it. So even if I upgrade it in 2 years, the cost has been minimal. Twice in our last trip we saw people miss a dive because the rental stuff, wasnt working or fitting proper. One dm suggested a guy still do the dive when the only way his BC would inflate is if he held the bc connector "closed" during inflate. (smart guy decided better not to dive) I mean my stuff can still malfunction, but I put together a small emergency kit, and I inspect and know its condition. Plus I am familiar with it.

The last reason to get your own gear is (and everyone told me this) If you have your own gear, you will seek to use it. Thus you dive more. Heck we did one of those "last minute" deals to mexico just to dive, because it was cheaper than going anywhere else. And Cozumel didnt seem like such a bad place to go for a $100/day (and that included airfare!) My wifes shopping on the other hand sorta blew the $100/day:wink:

As a brand new diver I bought used gear. I didn't see much point in spending $1k-$2k on gear that I don't know enough about yet. I got an old scubapro reg an oceanic octopus, an oceanic console computer (air and nitrox) and console with SPG and compass, plus a weight integrated BC. All for $350. It's not brand new gear, but it works and will help me go on a few dives to determine what my real needs are. If you already know your needs, buying new might be the right choice, but I'd still recommend looking for used gear and then just having it serviced. You'll save yourself a lot of money and potentially get much better selection of things you might actually use. I've already found things on my gear that I don't like and will replace, and that's after only doing my 4 OW dives.

Like others have said, buying gear as a newbie is more like renting... why pay a premium to rent?

Dave, I am totally sure I will buy more stuff. I am absolutely satisfied with what I bought. I have had enough issues with rental stuff (not diving) that I have totally given up on renting stuff. Sometimes its good, sometimes not so....

I was not advocating renting gear and I applaud you for making the purchase. I was just pointing out that when a new diver buys his initial gear they should consider it "renting the gear" because, if they stay active they will likely sell it and buy more.

Todays gear is all pretty good stuff. Sure, there are some klinkers, but for the most part all of the main gear (regulators, computers and BC's) is made pretty well and with any care at all, should last well past your desire to use it.:wink:

when a new diver buys his initial gear they should consider it "renting the gear" because, if they stay active they will likely sell it and buy more.

This is a good point, but it can be applied to anything that doesnt appreciate in value. Cars are a great example... 40k+ for a new truck that 4 years later sells for 20k. 5k a year rental. makes me scratch my head sometimes...

I guess I will just have to use it enough to make it cost effective over renting... (at least that is the argument I can use with my wife. And in order to use it more, I just might need a bit more equipement...)

I am absolutely sure that in 4 years(ish) that I will be replacing regs, computer etc or adding a shiney whistle or bright light. But in all honesty, shopping for the new toys is kinda fun too! But it is during that time that I will be using decent quality equipment. I would be furious if I ended up missing a dive because of rental equipement. If I miss a dive because of my own, I simply beat myself up.

Lastly though, I dive with my daughter, and I am not prepared to have anyone in my family use equipment that their life depends on, that I have not been satisfied with its quality or condition. (although I guess I still do have to trust the LDS inspections)

Air integrated computers are GREAT!! My computer is hoseless so I have the convenience of having my info on my wrist which is means in view most of the time. Additionally, if you are on a computer that is NOT air integrated and it shuts off, you should end the dive anyway!! Just to be safe during ascent and stops, I simply added a small SPG that clips to my hip. Unless he means don't use a computer at all. Given the reliability of todays well known computers, that's crazy to me.

I like to dive deep n should my primary computer fail I have a backup and if that fails too, I can fall back on tables, depth gauges n my dive watch to end my dive safely.

Computers can n do fail as the computer section will attest to and have personally seen at least 3 computers fail in bout 5 years of diving. As convenient as air integration sounds, a simple spg does the job more reliably n doesn't need expensive battery changes.

My 2 cents,

SangP

Back
Top Bottom