New Diver in the Los Angeles Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

majsa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Got Certified Open Water last weekend with PCH Scuba in Avalon.

I wasn't sure what to expect and I got way more than I thought possible.

I have a 23 foot boot and expect to get as much use as possible crossing from San Pedro to Avalon for more diving.

I plan on renting equipment for a while to get an idea of what matches me. I'm 6'5" around 230lbs and have some issues with BC sizing.

Welcome to :sblogo:!

I'm just a bit larger than you are- try a backplate/wing setup, you'll be glad you did.

If you are a new diver in LA, then you should attend the Rips, Rocks & Reefs program being put on by the county on Saturday. It is at Leo Carillo Beach. There are three parts to the program. One is conducted on dry land and teaches about how to evaluate a dive site for beach diving. That includes evaluating the current patterns, the weather, the actual swell, the tides, and the beach. (What does it mean when you are on the beach and there is lots of seaweed on it?) There is also a land based lecture on marine biology. And there is a segment in the water. This requires a wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel and gloves. A weight belt with 2 or 3 pounds is permitted. No scuba. You will practice beach entries and exits with some of the best instructors anywhere to be found. The ratio is like 1 to 4. You will practice some other skills, like towing a tired diver and dealing with seaweed.

Do not miss this.

See Welcome to L.A. County Scuba - 3R's - Rocks, Rips and Reefs

Got Certified Open Water last weekend with PCH Scuba in Avalon. I plan on renting equipment for a while to get an idea of what matches me. I'm 6'5" around 230lbs and have some issues with BC sizing.

Congrats on the OW. I'm 6'2" and about 230 right now. When I got OW'd, I was about 238 lbs. I used an XL Black Diamond that fit okay. Then I started losing weight and I was down to 220 lbs by my 17th dive (from so much diving) and on my first night dive, back when I still sat on the bottom with me knees (I'm horizontal these days) I stretch my arms up to reach for a fish and the BC popped off me at 60' connected to me only by me reg that I wouldn't let go. The next week I was on a BP/W and on my first dive with it (a DSS BP/W -- Tobin is awesome) nearly all my bouyancy and comfort problems went away. Plus, as I change weight I can adjust my harness and not by a new BC. The BP/w is probly the best investment in gear I have made as it made the biggest difference in my overall abilities and comfort. They are cheaper than a BC, too (at least cheaper than the 3 BC's I purchased).

My best friend just OW'd and I got him a BP/w from day one and his bouyancy and trim was impeccable from the beginning.

That said, if you like a BC, an XL might be your size, but most decent brands allow them to be somewhat adjusted for smaller or larger waist.

All that off my chest, PM me and I'll send you contact info, I'll go diving with you sometime. I'll even bring the BC and see if you like it. I have another BC never used but brand new that you can try also.

On the one hand, yes, I want to sell them, on the other hand, if you're not in the market, you can get a feel for what some decent BC's (non-rental variety) can be like. All my 1st and 2nd sets of gear are "loaners" until I get off my arse and sell them.

Thanks,
Shawn

Welcome to the 'board!!!

Looks like you got some good advise already. Feel free to drop on down to your
new local forum and join in our fun here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/

Hope to see you in the water someday soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom