New Diver in Need of Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I have the dg03 and I do not recommend it, if you are going to spend 600$ for a so so dive computer that you will change in 2 years I would recommend you to spend 200$ more and buy a Shearwater Petrel, that dive computer will help you a lot and will be with you from recreational diving to Trimix advanced dives with 100mts and more

ArMnKnows@live.com

If you're stuck on the aesthetics of a watch style computer the Suunti D4i is reasonably priced. It accounts for use on both air and Eanx and is easy to use. I have one and find it both straightforward to navigate, and easy to read and follow underwater - but then I do not (yet!) have the issue of aging eyes (sorry boulderjon!).

If you decide against a watch style, then the Suunto Zoop is a great option. Personally I'm not fan of the Mares Puck - I just find it difficult to use in terms of menu navigation with just the one user interface button.

The best advice is to shortlist a few that you're considering, and get out to some some dive stores where you can have a play and feel of the real thing before you make your final decision. Your computer should last you a long time. My first ever computer (a Suunto Gecko, which has since been replaced by the Zoop) lasted over 1500 dives before it finally gave up on me. So you want to be absolutely sure you have the one that you want, as you're going to be diving together for the foreseeable future! As with all equipment purchases this means being realistic with your budget, but also making sure you get exactly what you want/need - even if this means spending a little more - so that you don't end up having to make an unnecessary second purchase further down the line.

Happy shopping!

+1 for the Hollis DG03. I bought one because it was at a great price. At first the menu navigation is a little frustrating, but once you get the hang of it, it does everything you need. Second choices would be Oceanic Geo and Veo series, 2.0, 3.0... however much you want to spend. The SW Petrel is the cream of the crop.

Be mindful the Petrel has no air-integrated capability. It's mainly a technical computer, a market where A.I. is apparently seen as unnecessary and there's resistance to the potential added costs and theoretical added failure points that bring A.I. into the device might cause (there's another thread where the issue of A.I. in a technical computer got hashed out at length, but I think I summarized okay). People can and do use Petrels recreationally, and it's a well-spoken of computer from a company with a strong reputation for customer service. Definitely not a watch-like unit.

Richard.

I would suggest an Oceanic Atom with transmitter. I have used many different computers and generally speaking the Zoop is too conservative for me on multiple dives. The oceanic works well and is pretty easy to use. With an extra transmitter you can monitor your wifes air as well.

Hi, I have the dg03 and I do not recommend it, if you are going to spend 600$ for a so so dive computer that you will change in 2 years I would recommend you to spend 200$ more and buy a Shearwater Petrel, that dive computer will help you a lot and will be with you from recreational diving to Trimix advanced dives with 100mts and more

ArMnKnows@live.com

So, you think that because dive computers change every two years, a brand new diver who is at best a number of years away from technical diving--if he ever goes there at all--should therefore spend extra money to get a trimix computer that he does not need. You think he should do that now rather than wait until he actually needs one--if he ever does--so that he can get the newest version on the market rather than the obsolete one he bought when he was a brand new diver. Is that your advice?

I like the simplicity of the suunto gekko.... Now the Zoop. I have mine on my regs because I would sometime s forget it 😊. On my wrist a D4i... Also very happy with it for day to day rec diving. Personally happy to be conservative... It gave me plenty of time on red sea 4 dives a day trip. Conservative is not a dirty word.

Back
Top Bottom