New Diver in Need of Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trinite

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and am considering buying a dive computer. I have finished the classroom and pool dives of the certification process and am doing the open water portion in Cabo in August. My girlfriend and I are then going to the Gili Islands and Koh Tao in Thailand in December.

I think I am leaning towards an air integrated computer and would like a wrist computer so I can wear it as a watch although that is not a requirement. I would like something nice but want to spend something under $600 if possible. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I'd hit the Classifieds section of the forum and look for a used, perhaps mildly outdated computer like an Oceanic VT3. Another option is to get one where the transmitter is optional, as the Atom 3 is sometimes sold, and add the transmitter later. VT3 is more a puck, not a watch, but what are the odds you want to wear the thing around as a watch anyway? Do you normally wear watches in daily life that cost several hundred dollars?

Richard.

Seconding drrrich2 on the dive computer that is a watch idea. It seems like something that would be easier, but even working daily, as a diver, as I do, it just does not work the way you might think it does. The less expense dive computer are bulky, the more expensive ones get smaller (but still not that small) but then you are talking about wearing a $1000+ watch(!). No to mention that anything watched sized has watch sized retaining pins that make popping one tiny pin and losing a whole computer a real issue.

There is only one dive computer I have ever seen or used that was not oversized as a watch (Suunto Mosquito), but they stopped making it a few years ago, and it used a weird algorithm that sends the computer into deco 10-15 minutes before other computers on many dive.

I am not a fan of watch-type computers because they are too small to be really useful on a dive, especially for someone with aging eyes like mine.

I am also not a fan of spending too much money on a recreational computer. Do you really need all those bells and whistles? I think the average recreational diver is better off with a very basic computer that does what is needed. You can spend the money you save on other dive equipment.

Last edited:
Trust me on this one, what you buy as a new diver is likely to be replaced in a couple years. Go with a simple wrist mounted puck computer that handles nitrox.

There are lots of good choices out there very reasonably priced (under $300) that not only will do the job now, but can grow with you. Make sure you can see the screen well (Middleaged eyesight makes it harder to read the watch sized ones, but the larger puck sized wrist computers have large fonts). Make sure you can set it for Nitrox.

The Hollis DG03 is an awesome computer at a great price that will grow with your diving. You can add transmitters if you want, now or later. Several of my students as well as Netdoc now use it. DG03 Dive Computer and Digital Gauge by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express

I do find the oversimplified 1 button computers harder to use than the 2,3, or 4 button computers for scrolling through settings. I recommend visiting a few local shops and actually try using the settings buttons first to see if you will be happy with the menus. This is where $50 difference will "love it or hate it"/gotta trade it issues become evident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom