new diver going to cancun & coz June 2 Who oh Who to dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSym

Registered
Reaction score
We are brand newly certified. Have hotel in Cancun but want to Scuba in best location. We don't want to end up on a crowded scubacattle boat. Would rather pay more for a good experience. So far the threads I have read don't seem to repeat that many dive companies. I notice a lot of people stay at dive resorts. This is a whole new world to me. I am so excited and nervous that I will choose a crappy company. I am already planning a trip back next year with friends or maybe this year. Thanks for the input.

O.K. so I dont have any posts, so I went back and read and read and think I will probably dive with blue xt~sea.

ScubaSym:
We are brand newly certified. Have hotel in Cancun but want to Scuba in best location. We don't want to end up on a crowded scubacattle boat. Would rather pay more for a good experience. So far the threads I have read don't seem to repeat that many dive companies. I notice a lot of people stay at dive resorts. This is a whole new world to me. I am so excited and nervous that I will choose a crappy company. I am already planning a trip back next year with friends or maybe this year. Thanks for the input.

Hey there, I'm by no means an expert here. My first trip to Coz is in June myself. You may want to have this thread moved to the "Mexico" forum? You might get a better response on Cancun Dive Ops there.

It may be a little difficult to stay in Cancun and dive in Coz same day. Are you planning to stay on the island a couple of nights or will you be based in Cancun for your whole trip? Is there a reason you are heading to Cancun? I think most in this forum will suggest you either go to Cozumel or dive from Cancun.

We already had Moonpalace booked, I hear a lot about cozumel, and thought you could take a 15 minute boat ride over?

To get to Cozumel you'll have to take a ferry from Playa del Carmen, which is about an hour south of Cancun airport. The fast ferry from PDC to Cozumel is about a half hour. You could do it, but it would be an early start if you wanted to do morning dives in Coz. Most boats are out by 8:30am. There are several shops that run afternoon 2 tank trips too. That would at least allow you a more relaxed trip over. I think the last ferry back is around 10:30 pm (not sure) so you could make a full day of it and check out the town and have dinner either in Coz, or in PDC before you head back to Cancun.

Not sure if your budget would allow it since you've already booked at Moonpalace, but there are some affordable accommodations in Coz. You could do an afternoon dive, stay over, do a morning trip the following day then head back to Cancun.

ScubaSym:
We already had Moonpalace booked, I hear a lot about cozumel, and thought you could take a 15 minute boat ride over?

Maybe if you had your own VERY FAST boat.....

You can search for this info too, but basically you need to take a bus or cab to playa del carmen, if I remember about 45 min if there's any sort of traffic, which there always is, then wait for the next ferry. The ferrys leave pretty often, but it's a 30-45 min trip as well. I've only gone from the cancun airport to cozumel a couple of times, as I can usually get a decent flight directly to coz. It's a couple of hours at least. But, you can still do it; you're probably limited to afternoon dives though.

As far as which dive op, that's probably the most commonly asked question on this forum. If you search alot, several names will keep coming up. I like Roberta's Eco-dive Cozumel, aka blue bubble divers. Never dove with blue xt sea, but I've only heard glowing reviews. Christi gets booked pretty quickly, from what I hear.

Even though I love Cozumel,if you're staying at Moon Palace you really should dive Cancun,I think it has the best shallow reefs around for beginning divers.

Almost all the diving is less than 50 ft. with an abundance of sea life.

I just returned from a week in Coz and a week in Cancun,try Mantadivers.com in Cancun,personalized service small boats.

From Moon Palace, you can be in Playa del Carmen in about 30 minutes (by cab). The ferry runs on the hour and takes about 45 min. Once on the Coz side, you may need to take a taxi to the marina (about 10 min).

So....... you can stay in Cancun and dive Coz. Many of the operators run an afternoon dive schedule also (or you could get up early and take the 6AM ferry which will get you to Coz in time to catch the early dive trips).

The diving in Coz is MUCH better than Cancun and (in my opinion), worth the extra travel time.

Rich Hagelin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom