New diver from Arkansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyin-To-Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone. I'm new to diving and from LANDLOCKED AR. I recently dove for the first time in Cozumel 3 times and am horribly hooked. Too bad all I have to choose from at home is a small selection of semi-clear lakes.:depressed:

I am completely hooked and am ready to put some money into my new love. I don't know jack about jack when it comes to equipment brands or where to go to get it. I am prepared to spend a max of $1500 on my equipment and don't know in which direction to go.

Can you all please offer some advise or direction. I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks for the help :D

:D Congradulations. First Question. Are you certified as a Open water diver? Taking a complete course will teach you allot about gear. Number Two. Is there a Scuba shop in your area? Get hooked up with a shop. This will put you in touch with other divers that can dive with you and go on trips. Number three I love Cozumel and the area on the main land. I almost live there. Who did you dive with there? Most of all have fun diving is Great Fun.:rofl3:

Hi there,

If you would like to consider Sunny Indonesia that mentioned by many as their favorite diving country as your next diving destination, let me know.

You can choose to take your Advance Open Water either in Bali, Bunaken, Lembeh, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Wakatobi and many more.

Have a Mantastic Day!!

Hey everyone. I'm new to diving and from LANDLOCKED AR. I recently dove for the first time in Cozumel 3 times and am horribly hooked. Too bad all I have to choose from at home is a small selection of semi-clear lakes.:depressed:
I am completely hooked and am ready to put some money into my new love. I don't know jack about jack when it comes to equipment brands or where to go to get it. I am prepared to spend a max of $1500 on my equipment and don't know in which direction to go. Can you all please offer some advise or direction. I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks for the help :D

New diver777 welcome to ScubaBoard. You're starting backward for most divers, who start in the fresh water lakes, to learn to dive, then move to resorts like Cozumel.

In your state you can find 20 to 30 foot visibility much of the year, in parts of the lake. . . some parts of the lake won't be that clear. At Cozumel, parts of the reef will be 100 feet viz, much of the year, and parts of the reef will be less. You can enjoy blowing bubbles in both. If you want to approach fish, to sight see or to photograph what you find, learning in fresh water teaches you more quickly to approach sea life. You'll learn by diving 50 to 100 dives, which will be cheaper close to home, than at vacation dives at the resorts. Don't think less of your dives near home. . . you'll learn from lots of experience faster than occasional trips to resorts.

As any new diver you want to get equipment quickly, and fit all the equipment into your budget. Most of us have faced the same questions, and that shouldn't be your goal. You've got several dive shops scattered around the state, and each shop will have different brands of equipment. There won't be "bad" equipment. . . there will be good, better and best choices. And in many cases "Fit" will be the deciding factor. No two manufacturers use the same measurements for their "large" wetsuits or their "large" buoyancy compensator.

To be comfortable underwater. . . the size for each manufacturer must fit you, better than any other brand. You can't tell in the dive shop how a wetsuit or BC "fits". You must dive with each piece of gear, before you buy. For some dive shops you can rent gear, if so rent several styles to find what fits you. This board has forums that will have divers telling you what you "Have to" have. They may be telling you what is best for them, but they can't tell you what is best for you.

Travel to Beaver lake, or Table Rock, or Ouachita, or DeGray or several smaller lakes. Meet local divers and talk to them about what they dive with, and why they like it. . . In Arkansas, you can dive out of the back of your car, out of a small fishing boat or pontoon boats you can rent. You'll find diving easier than many parts of the country and the opportunity to progress in diving skill, is in your hands.

Blow lots of bubbles and enjoy.

New diver 777, I didn't notice a town in Arkansas where you live, but even though I live in Dover, Arkansas, north of Russellville, I dive out of The Dive Shop, in Little Rock. They teach through SSI and they have an indoor pool that they will let you use to try out SCUBA gear and to take extra courses that might interest you.

The staff has always been excellent in helping me and they have a boat on Greers Ferry, and a dive club that will offer ways to meet friends and fellow divers.

Hope this is some help to you

Hello and welcome to the board

Try C&J Scuba Sports Beaver Lake Eureka Springs ,Arkansas ask for Jim Butler

Hi:

Different strokes, different folks. I buy some things at local dive shops, but for some 'big ticket' purchases, where I don't need to try it on in the shop (if I use their personal service and stock to decide what to buy, and I'm buying what they've got, I figure I ought to buy from them), then I tend to buy online.

There are a number of reputable vendors. Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online is one of the most popular, and mention that you're a ScubaBoard.com member as last I checked they have a nice discount for that. Look at their package deals. For example, if I were buying right now with your budget, I might consider this one for $1,400, although I don't want a ripcord weight release system so I'd ask to substitute a Sherwood Avid BCD (just a brand & model a dive shop recommended (& yes I bought from the shop) that I use and like). Also, decide whether you want a wrist dive computer or a console style. Talk to ScubaToys on the phone or e-mail; I think they're amenable to customizing the packages a bit (they did for me last Christmas).

That $1,400 won't cover tank, mask, snorkel, fins & scuba boots. But after discount, and the $100 more your budget allows, you might get it all (except tank).

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom