New diver Certification suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking for advice on who you have used to get certified. I am located in Topeka, Ks. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

thank you for your time and help,
-Andy

Andy,

I would start off by asking what type of diving your looking to do (if you know)? some are looking to travel dive some just local diving and occasional trip. Some shops cater to different types of diving and will stock that type of gear. For example in my area there are about 12 shops 3 or 4 of them are heavy into local diving have a lot of tech gear, local diving charters etc. Others cater to the traveling tropical only divers plan more trips and stock gear for warm water etc.

Then there is a shop vs. independent question shops usually have standing classes but can be less flexible with working with your schedule. Independents will be more flexible but you will have to work with their availability.

Open Water Course there is now a choice for a instructor to teach tables or computer. Personally I think everyone need to learn how to plan a dive on a table. Computers stop working and you need to at least understand the principals. So make sure to ask if they teach the computer course or the tables or eRDPML (electronic dive calculator). If the shop teaches Computer only and your not going to buy one right away you will be at a loss.

Lastly I do not know if it is too much of a drive but I know the people at Mermet Springs IL they have a GREAT program teach both PADI and SSI they have multiple instructors. I did my Rescue cert there and my instructor was an active public safety diver and the course was WAY more than the minimum.

I am not sure on what type of diving I want to do. As far as I am aware there is not very many dive locations local to me. Mermet Springs IL is a 7 hour drive for me. Hoping I can find someone closer to home.

Thank you for your help. You have given me plenty of stuff to think about.

-Andy

PADI is the largest dive certification training agency worldwide. Mostly what that means is your c-card is more recognized everywhere.

Start with a basic Openwater Certification and proceed from there.

I don't see anything I don't like about these guys - and they're in Topeka - obviously no personal experience with them.

Home

They also teach TDI/SDI which can be a more technical certification so ask someone there which they recommend for you.

More important than the certification agency is the instructor so ask to meet theirs and pick one you like. In your market choices may be limited.

I think Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas might be your closest decent diving. I know divers in Wichita and that's where they go.

I don't see anything I don't like about these guys - and they're in Topeka - obviously no personal experience with them.

Home

Although, the owner doesn't seem to understand what a "testimonial" is for. :chuckle:

4ORteB7.png

Thank you all for the responses. I talked to Mike Ward at C2Sea Scuba last Friday. We discussed PADI vs TDI/SDI and the differences. He did not outright push for one or the other but I got the impression that he preferred PADI. The biggest differences he talked about was PADI being more expensive and more time spent on manual dive tables. Where TDI/SDI was more focused on dive computers. I am going back tomorrow to purchase the reading material for PADI. There is another dive shop in town however their instructor has only been teaching for 1.5 years where Mike has over a decade. I felt that with the additional teaching time he should have gained invaluable experience that will help with the instructions.

The downside now is I started having ear pain today. Went to see my doctor this afternoon and was told that I have Ear Barotrauma. The doctor thinks it occurred during my Discover Scuba session over a week ago. Was told to sleep with my head elevated and to allow 2-3 days for the pain to go away. If it doesn't they said I may need ear tubes. In the mean time I under doctor's orders of no swimming. :depressed:

The biggest differences he talked about was PADI being more expensive and more time spent on manual dive tables.

I find this interesting. When I did my PADI course, we didn't learn the eRDP tables at all. We talked about what they were, but not how to use them. When we did our certification dives, we used computers for the whole thing.

Thank you for the heads up, I will double check on the information.

PADI is the largest dive certification training agency worldwide. Mostly what that means is your c-card is more recognized everywhere.

Start with a basic Openwater Certification and proceed from there.

Home

They also teach TDI/SDI which can be a more technical certification so ask someone there which they recommend for you.

More important than the certification agency is the instructor so ask to meet theirs and pick one you like. In your market choices may be limited.

I think Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas might be your closest decent diving. I know divers in Wichita and that's where they go.

Diversteve, you are incorrect. PADI is the largest and best known agency BUT certifications from ANY of the major dive agencies are known and recognized worldwide. NAUI, SDI, SSI, BSAC, IANTD just to name a few. And their c-cards are all recognized by any reputable dive shop and operator.
Also TDI is mostly technical diving but SDI is Open Water/recreational diving. SDI is a more modern approach to dive training than PADI; hence the emphasis on dive computers. PADI is catching up in that area.

But find a good instructor. The agency is not what matters.

of course, you could do your academic work online and then come down to me in Florida for a few days to complete your training in a dive paradise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom