New Diver Certification: Shallow Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjatkins:
In my world, a "resort course" is a DSD conducted in the ocean where there's more to see than just the usual pool views of hairballs and bandaids. Others may have different definitions.

Ahh makes sense. Seems ive been doing resort courses for a while without actually knowing it then :)

Just referred to them as DSDs or Try Dives.

I doubt I would be diving now if it were not for Dicover Scuba. I did one of these in Thailand. As it was a family vacation, I doubt that I could have negotiated the time for the OW course (wife is a non swimmer). Sure there is a fair bit in OW not covered in DSD, but I think it is perfectly safe for that type of diving. You are limited to 40ft and the actual bottom was never more than 60ft where we were diving. We got enough instruction/supervision to keep us safe in that environment. Sure, you could kill yourself in a panic situation - just like on your OW certification dives.

I think there IS a place for these limited certifications. Provided they learn enough for new divers in the environments it qualifies then for. If they then choose to dive deep and cold without further training that is an indictment on the individual not the certification IMHO. :)

...personally waiting for the "Puddle Jumping Cert." Water must be no higher than the knees, and exposure suits must have padded elbow and knee pads. Tank skins may be of more fashionable materials since they will rarely contact the water. All PJ divers must be accompanied by a designated non-diving, standing individual, no shorter than four feet in height. Dive tables and computers optional...

Don Wray:
Has anyone else read the latest Alert article on the newest less than Basic Open Water Cert? It's a shallow diver certification which limits the unsupervised diver to 30 feet. It is promoted as a cheaper course requiring less time to become certified. And no, it's not a PADI course, it's SDI.

Well let me get one.....where's the dotted line...

Ice9:
Kinda strikes me as a bad idea... Seems to me that a person can drown at 30 ft just as easily as 60 ft. Anyone know the differences in the training?

OR,..........embolisms may be smaller & you'll die a slower death......that sounds just peachy......

I am actually really surprised about this. And unfortunately, it harps back to, in my opinion, the ability to make money (the wheels of commerce grind on). I believe, however, it is a really bad idea. I have witnessed these "discover scuba" courses where there is such limited training (even on time, in Mexico granted, a facility let the girl's FATHER do her pool training and the DI never even got himself wet. She was then pulled from the pool, watched a video for about 30 min and was off on a boat with certified and well-versed divers. I know for a fact we exceed 30' of water). The potential for injury is great - both to the "discovering" diver, the other divers and to the sealife itself. Buoyancy needs to be learned in order to protect marine life - send someone off to a reef w/o proper training and its a recipe for destruction.

Maybe this is a case of the "haves" v. the "have-nots" - but to me, the course work, study, OW training and certification were a necessary "right of passage" to be able to experience something truly amazing - how life carries on beyond the shores. To me, it is a privilege, one that needs to be earned, respected, etc. It is not right. Anyhow, I am a bit unimpressed. Mind you, I am not an experienced diver (having logged so few dives in comparison to others) but I know enough, and am conscious enough of my skills, training, etc., to know my limits, the ramifications of my actions, etc.

String:
Anyone want to tell me exactly what IS a resort course?

Heard the term countless times but still no idea what it is.

To me(by definition), I would guess a course taught @ a resort????.........But serious, friend of mine( now a master diver) took it the 1st time he came to Roatan with us about 5 years ago...I do know this, paper work is only good for 7 days( I think is the # of days but may be 2 weeks), max like ?40 feet deep, & can only dive with a DM or instructor that gave you the 'verbal' training for that week( or 2)...But, as you can see, he got bit & got the 'real' thing.....

The shallow water course was designed for those who wanted to use the Rapid Diver or equivelant. Since the LARGEST tank is 30 cf, there is a limited depth of also 30 ft.
Won't work. We're gonna hear about them going deeper, etc.

The most telling line in the article was the one by the instructor for a shop that offers the shallow course. He said that, in fact, he had never certified anyone in the shallow version. EVERY one who signed up for it, after the first classes and pool dive, opted to change to the full OW certification. In other words, it sounds like the shallow course is a good way to get folks in the door. I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with limiting the training that OW provides.
I don't have too much problem with resort courses (that's how I got introduced to this sport, after all, and I haven't looked back). The plus for those introductory dives is that they are guided, many times one-on-one (mine was) by a DM or AI. This shallow course turns folks loose to self-regulate with what I consider to be marginal training. I think all the agencies have cut their OW programs just about to the bones concerning content mastery. I am nervous about trimming back any further.
Just my $.02

Guba:
... I think all the agencies have cut their OW programs just about to the bones concerning content mastery. I am nervous about trimming back any further.
Just my $.02

This is my thought too. At a time when we see more and more people talking about the lowering standards in scuba training, I think it is a shame to see yet another "shortcut course".

Back
Top Bottom