New Diver Certification: Shallow Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving limits are similiar to driving limits. Ex. 30 feet = 30 MPH. Would anyone consider getting a drivers license that is only good to 30 MPH?
The skills to drive a car through traffic at 30 MPH vs 60 MPH are differnet. As is diving to 30 fsw vs 60 fsw, but the basic skill to drive at any legal speed or dive to any sport depth is still the same. It is foolish to only know enough to think you are safe at 30 fsw. Many of the same things that can happen at 30 feet can happen at 60 feet.

My 2 cents.

Off topic:
That was EXACTLY my first question.... a 100ft dive on your third dive? I recently heard that doing your deep dive first isn't *that* important any more (in fact, heard that this weekend from my instructor of my AOW course) but I tend to agree, that does not sound like a smart way to dive.

You know what gang? It's like someone else said on this thread. It's about the money! We keep hollering about the low standards in OW, the bad instructors, now a shortened course, etc., etc.

Bottom line folks, SCUBA is a business. The more divers, the more of everything, dive ops, equipment manufacturers, dive resorts. The days of thinking of SCUBA as a select community and SCUBA OW training as "going through a rite of passage" are going bye-bye.

Yep, more dangerous divers in the water, dangerous to "old schoolers" and themselves. Guess I'll have to move on to Rescue because it looks like the odds of one dayhaving to save an "under-trained" diver have gone up. As Don said, no way will you keep them at 30 ft. and above.

waynel:
You know what gang? It's like someone else said on this thread. It's about the money! We keep hollering about the low standards in OW, the bad instructors, now a shortened course, etc., etc.

Bottom line folks, SCUBA is a business. The more divers, the more of everything, dive ops, equipment manufacturers, dive resorts. The days of thinking of SCUBA as a select community and SCUBA OW training as "going through a rite of passage" are going bye-bye.

Yep, more dangerous divers in the water, dangerous to "old schoolers" and themselves. Guess I'll have to move on to Rescue because it looks like the odds of one dayhaving to save an "under-trained" diver have gone up. As Don said, no way will you keep them at 30 ft. and above.
It's about the money for some and about other things for others, just because your bottom line is that scuba is a business does not mean that someone else's bottom line has to be the same, or that people who don't subscribe to that view have to accept lowered standards or participate in shortened courses, etc.

It is perfectly reasonable for people who do not share your view to resent the "it's all the same" BS that is spread so thickly by those that you link with business interests, bad instructors and low standards. There still exist select diving communities that hold very different views.

As someone stated in this thread, anyone with a drivers license will NOT stay under 30mph. Neither will someone certified for 30feet or less. I can give you a LOT of examples how on a boat, if you'll do it, the DM's will take you. It IS about money when it comes down to being on the boat. Human nature tends to get really loose when people are "on vacation"... I've seen it!

Back
Top Bottom