New Diver and Dive Buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeMEed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, so I'm not certified yet. I will be VERY soon though!

The problem I'm going to be facing is being a new diver and having no one to go diving with! :shakehead: Which is so not cool!

I believe the store I'm doing my certification through has store dives I can tag along with, but most are on Thursdays and I can't make a Thursday dive, I have to work! Maybe I can skip work every now and then, but not nearly as often as I'd like to!

So, I have a problem. I'm going to be certified but I don't want to go alone, for obvious reason lol I also don't really want to go with just someone else from my OW class because, well........they are new as well! It doesn't really make me all that comfortable swimming with a new diver as I'm a new diver as well.

So how does one find an experienced dive buddy??

Depending on where you live, there are a number of dive clubs out there I would recommend.

I'm currently a member of the Emerald Seas Dive Club ... they're based out of Edmonds. They have what they call a "Big Buddy" program that's perfect for new divers, as it pairs up newer divers with more experienced divers for club dives. It also gets you into a pool of people to dive with ... and diving being the social activity that it is, it's just a natural consequence that you'll end up finding a few folks that you just enjoy diving with.

Other dive clubs have similar programs. Some you might like looking into ...

- Moss Bay Dive Club in Kirkland
- Marker Buoys Dive Club in Seattle
- Depth Chargers Dive Club in Federal Way

Join a club ... that's how I established my first circle of dive buddies when I got started ... and I've still got a lot of friends out there because of it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NeMEed, I was in the same situation you were in when I got certified. I wasn't confident enough to dive with another newbie, so I wanted to find some experienced people to tag along with for a while.

One thing you could check is whether the shop where you got certified has any kind of e-group (ours did). I posted a message on our shop's e-group, and made my first local non-instructed dive with a lovely woman who was very patient with me.

Another thing you can do is check out local BB's. Northwest Dive Club :: Index is an active local board, and people often post looking for buddies, just as you have done here. It's usually a little more effective if you have a specific date or place where you are planning to go, because then people know if they can do that particular dive or not.

As I posted in another of your threads, I have a particular thing about going out with new divers. So much kindness and generosity was shown to me when I was new, I really enjoy paying it forward. If I remember, you're down south, right? But that means a place like the Coves at Alki could be a reasonable middle meeting ground, and Alki has several places which are good dives for novices.

This time of year, after-work dives are night dives, which you may want to hold off on doing until you have a little more experience. So you're looking at weekend diving, which is fine, because that's when most people are available to dive! Unfortunately, my weekends are booked through the first of December (I can't believe that, but it's true) so hopefully, you'll find somebody else to get out with before then. Try the nwdiveclub site. Lots of good people there.

Depending on where you live, there are a number of dive clubs out there I would recommend.

I'm currently a member of the Emerald Seas Dive Club ... they're based out of Edmonds. They have what they call a "Big Buddy" program that's perfect for new divers, as it pairs up newer divers with more experienced divers for club dives. It also gets you into a pool of people to dive with ... and diving being the social activity that it is, it's just a natural consequence that you'll end up finding a few folks that you just enjoy diving with.

Other dive clubs have similar programs. Some you might like looking into ...

- Moss Bay Dive Club in Kirkland
- Marker Buoys Dive Club in Seattle
- Depth Chargers Dive Club in Federal Way

Join a club ... that's how I established my first circle of dive buddies when I got started ... and I've still got a lot of friends out there because of it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok! :) I'm in the Tacoma area. :)

NeMEed, I was in the same situation you were in when I got certified. I wasn't confident enough to dive with another newbie, so I wanted to find some experienced people to tag along with for a while.

One thing you could check is whether the shop where you got certified has any kind of e-group (ours did). I posted a message on our shop's e-group, and made my first local non-instructed dive with a lovely woman who was very patient with me.

Another thing you can do is check out local BB's. Northwest Dive Club :: Index is an active local board, and people often post looking for buddies, just as you have done here. It's usually a little more effective if you have a specific date or place where you are planning to go, because then people know if they can do that particular dive or not.

As I posted in another of your threads, I have a particular thing about going out with new divers. So much kindness and generosity was shown to me when I was new, I really enjoy paying it forward. If I remember, you're down south, right? But that means a place like the Coves at Alki could be a reasonable middle meeting ground, and Alki has several places which are good dives for novices.

This time of year, after-work dives are night dives, which you may want to hold off on doing until you have a little more experience. So you're looking at weekend diving, which is fine, because that's when most people are available to dive! Unfortunately, my weekends are booked through the first of December (I can't believe that, but it's true) so hopefully, you'll find somebody else to get out with before then. Try the nwdiveclub site. Lots of good people there.

Aw, that's too bad that your weekends are full up! I was hoping you might be avalable, as I've heard great stories from others here about you. Maybe another time though :)

Yeah, I'm not too keen on diving at night at this point! lol So that won't be happening any time soon! And I have classes/work Tuesday-Friday so I can only dive weekends and Mondays.

I really am not sure about a place to go diving. :11doh:

Thanks for the link! I'll post there and see what, or who, I can find! :D Thanks!

***edit*** I'm signed up for the board, but I have to wait to be approved by the moderator. :)

Ah -- You can dive Mondays! Want to go out somewhere November 19th?

YES!!!! ^_^ Do you have any places in mind?

Taking this to PM . . .

Yo NeMed,

I'm a new diver myself and I know what you're going through.

I'm also in Tacoma.

We should get together in the future when we're both comfortable.

I am in West Seattle. If any new divers need a buddy to go out with in this area I am willing (schedule permitting).

Solitude Diver, you should join the board that TSandM posted above. It's got a lot of local divers! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom