New Dive Quarry in Illinois....Coming This Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viz is worse than Haigh :wink: The drains are pretty active when there is alot of rain...which is the culprit of the bad viz. If you notice in the pics, the shore is all mud. They planted some grass last year, it didnt take. There is LOTS of erosion. They are planning on doing some erosion control this year so they don't lose their shore line. That will clean up the viz, and give us somewhere to setup gear without getting muddy.

As for the pipes, the area we would section off for diving, wouldnt be near them. The nice thing is that even a sectioned off portion, is the same as other quarries, so its pretty big.

There are quite a few "issues" with the quarry right now. Nothing that cant be solved as it grows though. Haigh wasnt what it is today when it first opened. With support from divers that come to the quarry, there will be a proven need for more to be added and done to encourage diving there. It all takes time....

Anyone got cheap or free grass seed :) or rocks for erosion control.....and lots of it:D....first step is grass to clear up the erosion problem and give us some great viz....last year when it opened, it was crystal clear.....but there was no rain for awhile....

Last week I was driving by and I couldn`t resist :)
I stopped and I took sneak peak preview of Whalon lake
First impression: great Place I would say that viz maybe something around Haigh Quarry or maybe 3~5 feets less. Very Very close to Chicago
What I didn`t like ---> those outputs or drainage I`m thinking about "smaller" one looks very active!!! from shore You can see kicked up sand almost like fog underwater
I took some photos from the lake side and from the other side where pipe ends I don`t know what to think maybe I`m just exaggerating but diameter of pipe can easily accommodate a diver :)

OK links to photos are beneath:
img245.imageshack.us/img245/1447/westside.jpg
img27.imageshack.us/img27/7527/yeahfhf.jpg
img12.imageshack.us/img12/146/stepsc.jpg
img401.imageshack.us/img401/1001/fromshore.jpg
img7.imageshack.us/img7/5928/concretesteps.jpg
img17.imageshack.us/img17/697/boatlaunchramp.jpg
img518.imageshack.us/img518/1125/ramp2.jpg
img22.imageshack.us/img22/7446/boatramp.jpg
img12.imageshack.us/img12/4420/picnicplace.jpg
img8.imageshack.us/img8/7852/underwaterartifact.jpg
img12.imageshack.us/img12/6309/underwaterfog.jpg
img23.imageshack.us/img23/6439/2ndsideofpipe.jpg

That`s all folks....

Sounds good, how far from Rockford is this site? You thinking of having handicapped accessible site/entrance? Bill

Its probably about an hour or so from Rockford....depends on where in Rockford.

The site currently is handicap accessible, and in time, as we make money we will 100% add in lifts to make the diving handicap accessible. At current, nothing is being done with the quarry as we are waiting for them to do some erosion control so the viz clears up...and then start the process :D

I will be coming from Wisconsin on Hwy 90 through Beloit, sounds like about a 2 hour drive....(ish), good news on the handicapped access, just in case I have students that need it. Site has great potential! Bill

I remember receiving an email which contained a Petition for this quarry. (Proud Supporter!) Living in St. Louis, I would definitely make the trip. I know the rest of the gang I dive with (Y-KIKI Divers) would check it out as well.

Night diving while listening to Pink Floyd would be cool! However, I have dove at Mermet Springs several times and heard them playing music while diving. Another time with Tildens in the Florida Keys (they have spearkers under their boat) ...Yeah, it's cool for a song or two, then it's time to turn it off and just Dive!

Are these dates listed tentative or could we plan on diving on those dates?

Those dates are very tentative. The issue is the dirt all around the quarry. It poses 2 big problems.

- Erosion that mucks up the viz- who wants to dive 2ft viz
- It may be dirt when you get in the water, but when you come out all wet it turns to mud

They will be doing alot to the shoreline this summer....all depends on how soon. Got some seed you wanna donate :) With the economy the way it is, I dont know how soon they will dump money into it. Now, all we need is the grass, then the viz will clear up, then people will want to go out there, then we can pre-sell the tickets that will allow us to make money, take that money and build platforms and docks and sink stuff before the first day it opens.

Grass is key....or sand or something similar. With a proven need for diving not yet established in their eyes, I'm not too sure how fast they are moving. I have an email to them that I should hear back from soon

It would be nice to have something this close, it's about 40 min from my place. Let me know if/when you need help out there. Will work for fills :eyebrow:

Email today from them:

Mike,
> It looks as if, right now, the scuba proposal is on hold. I guess the Audubon Society has issues with us using the lake during bird
> migrations.
>So after the program was a 100% go, now it looks like its on hold....I have an email to try and figure more out, but this is as it comes to me.....

Audubon Society? Bird Watching...now that's exciting stuff! Isn't there a dog park near by? That will be the next excuse! "We can not allow divers in Whalon Lake due to all of those Labrador's & Golden Retreivers viewing divers entering and exiting the lake. This creates undue stress to these wonderful water dogs."

Pardon my sarcasm, I just don't understand why there are so many hoops to jump through and political excuses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom