New Dive Computer... Top of the Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldenwingk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone, i am trying to do some research for my dad regarding a new dive computer. i am looking for something that can be used for tech diving, with multiple gases... trimix/nitrox. something that has a large font, cause my dad cant read small digits, and preferably something that is attached to the HP gauge system... or wrist that will have the larger digits.
also looking for a computer that isnt too conservative with your bottom time. Thankyou

You will probably want to take a look at the Shearwater Research Predator, as well as the LiquiVision Xeo (dunno if it is available right now or still TBD on the release date). Any of those would seem to fit your requirements.

If your dad is in tech diving, he probably has specific requirements on the computer's algorithm and other minor features. It is better to ask him what he wants first.

The Liquivision X1 meets all the criteria you list. It's a trimix computer with two different programs available for it. The fond is user-adjustable, and big is BIG. Plus, the yellow-on-black color scheme makes the gauge extremely readable. (I can read mine WITHOUT my bifocals!) Running V-planner gives very reasonable deco limits and decompression obligations, and reasonable schedules. The gauge is small in physical size, which is nice, and rechargeable, which I prefer to changing batteries. And the Liquivision people are good to deal with on customer service issues.

But hongrace has a point. If your dad is already doing tech diving, he will definitely have ideas about what he wants in a gauge.

TSand. How do you like, or think, the X1 compared to the new Xeo (?)

Curious. Thanks

The colors on the Xen and Xeo make them extremely easy to read -- easier even than the X1. However, the color screens use a lot of power, and you have to change batteries on those units. My X1 can go days without recharging, gives me a clear battery content indicator, and can be recharged. I like those features better.

The software is different between the X1 and the Xeo; I haven't had a chance to play with a xeo, so I don't know how its output compares with the VPM I run on the X1.

Another vote for the Shearwater.

I recently discovered the need for reading glasses (middle age is not for the feint of heart) and added lenses in my primary mask to more easily and quickly read small SPGs, but it is not required to read the display on my Predator as the font and brightness is very eye friendly.

I have not played with the X1 much, but I can read people's X1's 10 plus feet away. I am not sure what that means however as my distance vision still corrects to 20/10 and I can read things at 10' better than I can read stuff at 10". :shakehead:

Marci used to have a VR3 and it was always a bit of a pain for her to use in terms of settings, gas switches etc - but it was a great back up primary light and something the whole team could cluster around and follow the line with in cave training lights/out drills - as long as the instructor did not cover it. :D The display on it put out a lot of light, yet was strangley hard to read....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom