New data on the value of deep stops in reducing risk of DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I dive recreational profiles only but have been doing deep stops for quite some time as we dive to the edge of recreational limits frequently here in NC. My feeling was that it was a good thing to add to my dive plan in order to reduce my risk of DCI.

I was at a dive gathering the other night and an instructor mentioned that there was some new data indicating that deep stops may be of little benefit in reducing DCI incidence while diving recreational profiles. She didn't have the source and I can't find it.

Does anyone know the source of the data she mentioned?

I will probably continue to do them unless there is data to suggest that they have a negative impact. I seem to feel better when I get back on the boat than before I started doing them.

Thanks!

UHMS held a workshop in Salt Lake City in 2008 regarding deep stops and decompression modeling.

To say that there was contentions debate about the subject would be an understatement.

The proceedings from that workshop are available for purchase Here. I imagine that a good university library may have a copy.

If you are a DAN member, you can access the proceedings of the DAN Technical Diving Symposium from 2008, which includes a presentation on deep stops. It is, of course, relative to technical diving, but interesting nonetheless. In addition, you can read the results of the Marroni studies on ascent rates on the DAN website. It is important to realize, though, that their slow ascents were slow ascents all the way from the bottom -- it's pretty clear from the studies that such ascents are NOT desirable.

Back
Top Bottom