new computer purchase, but confused.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Petrel and Perdix are basically the same electronics under the hood but have a different form factor. The Perdix besides being smaller has better battery life. We dive Petrel 2 computers that we got before the Perdix came out. My wife would probably like the Perdix form factor better for her small wrist. The Perdix is also better set up for bungee usage. The straps are really bulky.

AI has come a longs ways. I think it is great as I like using it not so much to monitor my gas during a dive but more for the logging for calculating my SAC for future dives. The one thing I do not like about AI transmitters is that they become a handle for deck dorks to grab. For that reason when I used AI I put mine a short 6" HP hose and quick disconnect. It is then tucked between my cylinder and wing. It stays there without any problems.

Good call on the quick disconnect. I've never thought of that. Looks like I will be doing some modifying fairly soon.

And now I want to add a quick disconnect to it. D'oh! :facepalm:

Lol. I wouldn't do that. Good way to lose it if it caught something just right. I've had my DiveAlert pop off the hose when I've snagged something on the boat. DiveAlerts are cheap, TX's, not so much.

Short hose is fine. Leave it at that.

I read somewhere that a diver used a 4"-6" HP hose for the transmitter. It hung just above the divers left shoulder which gave the wrist mounted computer better line for picking up the transmitter. I thought this was a good idea. It would help keep the computer from losing the connection.

Lol. I wouldn't do that. Good way to lose it if it caught something just right. I've had my DiveAlert pop off the hose when I've snagged something on the boat. DiveAlerts are cheap, TX's, not so much.

Short hose is fine. Leave it at that.

You have that issue with your DA as well? My DA pop out once in a while when I am trying to adjust the rubber band that holds the inflator hose to my shoulder strap. Very annoying.

I read somewhere that a diver used a 4"-6" HP hose for the transmitter. It hung just above the divers left shoulder which gave the wrist mounted computer better line for picking up the transmitter. I thought this was a good idea. It would help keep the computer from losing the connection.

My thoughts are it's another hose I'll have to replace every two years. I may paint the TX red this winter.

For what it's worth, my TX is on the opposite side of the wrist holding my computer and I've never lost the signal or was unable to connect.

You have that issue with your DA as well? My DA pop out once in a while when I am trying to adjust the rubber band that holds the inflator hose to my shoulder strap. Very annoying.

It's only happened to me once, but it did happen. Snagged something, I heard a thud and I looked down and there it was, sitting on the deck.

I've had my RX on a 6" hose for 3 years now. Hose is fine and nothing has been broken by handlers.

My thoughts are it's another hose I'll have to replace every two years. I may paint the TX red this winter.

For what it's worth, my TX is on the opposite side of the wrist holding my computer and I've never lost the signal or was unable to connect.

It's only happened to me once, but it did happen. Snagged something, I heard a thud and I looked down and there it was, sitting on the deck.

My DA popped a few times while I was on surface and about to descend. Not a good feeling I tell ya.

It is working so far. Never had issue with signal dropping. Knock on wood. But I did it mainly to avoid the deckhand part my TX from the 1st stage.

I have the old Petrel 1 and I love it! I am not going to upgrade until it breaks because I actually like the look of it, feels robotic. I am also unreasonably attached to it. It's really sturdy, I am not gentle with it. The Perdix is slick though, really slim and I'm sure the same quality.
My husband would not ever get the Petrel because of the size but he is tempted to upgrade his wristwatch style computer for the Perdix. If I didn't already have a shearwater, I would go for the Perdix AI, seems neat.

I've been using my TX directly on the 1st stage for the last 120 dives or so. Never had an issue with anyone grabbing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom