new computer purchase, but confused.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blakec1980

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I'm planning on purchasing a new computer in the next couple months. I have been sold on the petrel 2 for a while now but recently I've been reading about the Perdix. I'm curious is the perdix the same as the petrel just a slimmer frame? Also with the new AI that's just been released would that be a better option? Looking for opinions on the two. I'm set on shearwater so please don't try to dissuade me to another brand. I like their interface and screen set up as well as the support I have heard the company provides.

Thanks for any insight!

The Petrel and Perdix are basically the same electronics under the hood but have a different form factor. The Perdix besides being smaller has better battery life. We dive Petrel 2 computers that we got before the Perdix came out. My wife would probably like the Perdix form factor better for her small wrist. The Perdix is also better set up for bungee usage. The straps are really bulky.

AI has come a longs ways. I think it is great as I like using it not so much to monitor my gas during a dive but more for the logging for calculating my SAC for future dives. The one thing I do not like about AI transmitters is that they become a handle for deck dorks to grab. For that reason when I used AI I put mine a short 6" HP hose and quick disconnect. It is then tucked between my cylinder and wing. It stays there without any problems.

If AI is important to you and you have the money, get the newest Perdix AI.

If like me you find AI is an interesting feature but not worth the bucks, pick up a used Perdix. There will likely be a good selection available soon.

If AI is important to you and you have the money, get the newest Perdix AI.

If like me you find AI is an interesting feature but not worth the bucks, pick up a used Perdix. There will likely be a good selection available soon.

What she said! Get either a new Perdix AI or get a used Perdix or, if it's a really good price, a used Petrel 2.

You'd be flushing money to buy a new non-AI Perdix or a new Petrel 2, at this point.

The PAI was just unveiled yesterday and there are already nearly-new Perdixes up for sale because of it. You'll probably be able to get one for $600 - 650 in like new condition, if you're even the slightest bit patient.

Just purchased a new Galileo Luna with transmitter from Eco Dive Center in Culver City, CA. It was 62.00 less than everywhere I looked with free shipping...BOOOYA! Before I purchased I made sure they were a Authorized Scubapro Dealer

Last edited:
The Petrel and Perdix are basically the same electronics under the hood but have a different form factor. The Perdix besides being smaller has better battery life. We dive Petrel 2 computers that we got before the Perdix came out. My wife would probably like the Perdix form factor better for her small wrist. The Perdix is also better set up for bungee usage. The straps are really bulky.

AI has come a longs ways. I think it is great as I like using it not so much to monitor my gas during a dive but more for the logging for calculating my SAC for future dives. The one thing I do not like about AI transmitters is that they become a handle for deck dorks to grab. For that reason when I used AI I put mine a short 6" HP hose and quick disconnect. It is then tucked between my cylinder and wing. It stays there without any problems.
I've never dived from a charter with careless deck hands touching my gear, but this is what I did. Plastic label. Still holding up great after a season of diving.

Manufacturers really should make them in red or some other color that doesn't look like a valve handle. They should print a do not lift warning too.

20161116_093400.jpg

I've never dived from a charter with careless deck hands touching my gear, but this is what I did. Plastic label. Still holding up great after a season of diving.

Manufacturers really should make them in red or some other color that doesn't look like a valve handle. They should print a do not lift warning too.

View attachment 385753

Mine is attached to a 6" miflex instead of directly to the 1st. So far so good (knock on wood).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom