New Buddy Checklist...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok here is a serious answer for you.

1) I quickly and discretely check my new buddies gear and look for anything the I might not be familiar with or anything that looks odd to me. If yes, I politely ask them about it. If not, I keep my mouth shut.

2) I casually ask them where their favorite place to dive is. One thing for sure is divers love to talk about diving. The conversation goes from there. I can tell alot about a diver in a quidk five minute conversation about diving.

3) If conditions are harsh (Heavy current, low visibility, deep etc.) or if it is not obvious what to do, I briefly talk about our dive plan. Otherwise let's go have fun!

That is it.

Buddy Checks? I will gladly check your gear if you ask. I check my own gear for myself. If you want to check my gear too that is fine. I will not depend on a buddy I just met to check my gear for me. The number one skill you learn as rescue diver is how to prevent accidents and "rescure" yourself.

Nobody likes to be grilled as a new buddy and excesive dive planning is just not that fun. So leave the master check list in your back pocket unless conditions are really harsh.

My 2 cents.
Jay

As someone new to diving that is forced to the insta-buddy thing quite often, I think it's a very helpful list. I usually don't know what to ask and where to start when partnered up with the new buddy...other than BWRAF, but there is a lot more to it than that.

Is this something you'd do with an insta-buddy? or is it more for the initial meeting for a potential buddy for real?

I can't imagine how anyone can honestly believe in the true "buddy-system" that results from a DM/mate picking 2 names from a list of buddyless divers in a given trip.
We throw terms around about the potential for danger on a given dive, and will depend on a total stranger's answers? He/She may not even be potty trained for what we can tell for sure, for sure. Just because they somehow produced a c-card proves nada. The more they say how good they are is usually (not always) a sign they are pathetic. Put my life in their hands? NO WAY!!!!

As someone new to diving that is forced to the insta-buddy thing quite often, I think it's a very helpful list. I usually don't know what to ask and where to start when partnered up with the new buddy...other than BWRAF, but there is a lot more to it than that.

We all started with zero dives, my suggestion: do what it takes to not depend on insta-buddies, and do it as fast as you can.
I'm not saying dive solo, but don't actually put your life on the hands of an insta-buddy.

I would never interogate someone else like that. If you came to me like that, I would just tell you to find someone else to dive with, as nicely as I could of course.

Exactly!

Unless of course they were really polite questions, such as:

1) Where did you get that beautiful steel backplate? From Deep Sea Supply in California?

2) Where did you get that beautiful wing? From Oxycheq in Florida?

3) Should I get a 7 foot hose too like yours?

4) Is it true that those ScubaPro regs are really expensive?

5) Did you make that hogarthian harness yourself?

:)

As someone new to diving that is forced to the insta-buddy thing quite often, I think it's a very helpful list.
It's not copy-righted, feel free to use it. :)

I usually don't know what to ask and where to start when partnered up with the new buddy...other than BWRAF, but there is a lot more to it than that.
Like others have said, start by observing how your instabuddy prepares for the dive. This list is not mandatory to follow, but can offer a few pointers.

An example: Gauges are always a good point to observe. My gauge is in Bar, not in PSI. So, if I dive with an American diver using a PSI gauge, it's only common sense to discuss how you communicate your remaining pressure.

...Gauges are always a good point to observe. My gauge is in Bar, not in PSI. So, if I dive with an American diver using a PSI gauge, it's only common sense to discuss how you communicate your remaining pressure.

Normally I do not bother with this. My buddy is responsible for his/her own air/nitrox/trimix supply, as I am responsible for my own as well. And if worse comes to worse, I will donate my primary 2nd stage reg (mouthpiece).

If I fear that I have a novice buddy, I will ask to look at the SPG after he/she has turned on the tank and put on the B/C-harness. And I will look where the needle is now, and remember it. A 10% reserve is normally not used until the safety stop.

It is supposed to be a hobby only, and fun, not work.
Since for me it's primarily work I'm rarely subjected to the random buddy problem. It's a question of a check-out, either by me or the DSO.

The only thing I'd add to that long list:

• Okay, now let's get some sleep because it's so late and we'll dive in the morning.

:wink:

I think it's good to go through all the signals, and make sure you're agreed on what to do in various circumstances, particularly diver separation. Some of my most awkward moments with new buddies have been because I forgot to go over all the signals (because I get so used to diving with people who use the same ones I do), and I know friends who have gotten into a great deal of trouble by failing to go over separation protocols.

I do a head-to-toe equipment check on almost every dive; the almost is times when I'm the odd man out of three, and I don't force the issue. Almost always, I insist on it. It's amazing how often you pick up the odd problem, even with experienced people -- Somebody forgets to hook up their dry suit hose, or forgets to put on a gauge, or discovers their inflator hose isn't completely solid on the connection.

And sketching out the parameters for the dive -- where, how deep, how long, how much gas, how are we going to manage the ascent -- is just part of what should be planned.

El Orans, we'd instabuddy up well :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom