New BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave the whales alone Kurtguy

Don't get a BP&W just because they're fashionable. Get one because you've tried them out and dig them and see them as useful. Steel/alum, hogarthian/padding&buckles, single wing vs single/double size.... meh.... try some stuff out.

If you get the Oxycheq or Halcyon kit you won't go too wrong. I use Dive Rite's stuff and like it.

What about a Zeagle Ranger - nice BC!

Or a Dive Rite Transpac. Very nice BC that will be great for doubles/twins and can be adapted for sidemounts. One of the most useful bits of kit anywhere.

:popcorn:
religious discussions are fascinating, so long as I'm not involved.

Don't get a BP&W just because they're fashionable.

What about a Zeagle Ranger - nice BC!

BP/Ws are fashionable? With who exactly?

Absolutely consider a Zeagle Ranger. Heck make me an offer on my Zeagle Ranger, which hasn't seen any use since I got a BP/W back in 2004.

It's to bad that nothing says that but you cannot put a dive rite wing on the halcyon plate - the holes will not match as on Dive Rite has the holes lower. My friend bought a dive right and then sold it after he tried my DSS, DSS has more rigid shell and the air travels around the wing way better making it dumping easier. He got DSS and sold his dive rite

I use a Diverite wing on a Halcyon backplate all the time. The holes match up just fine. In fact, I have never had a problem matching any bp with any other wing - ever. Of course, I have not tried them all so I suppose there is a chance. But Diverite and Halcyon..., totally compatable.

I use a Diverite wing on a Halcyon backplate all the time. The holes match up just fine. In fact, I have never had a problem matching any bp with any other wing - ever. Of course, I have not tried them all so I suppose there is a chance. But Diverite and Halcyon..., totally compatable.

It's exactly this type of incomplete information that leads to grief.

Virtually all plates and all *doubles* wings will work fine, all you need is one set of holes in the center channel of the plate and the center panel of the wing @ 11" centers.

Most plates and most singles wings will work *If a Single Tank Adapter* is used, again one set of holes @11" centers is required.

OTOH if one wants to avoid using a STA, and there are good reasons to do so then it gets more complex.

Are the camband slots in the same place on the wing and plate?

Do the camband slots still line up when the holes in the center channel of the plate and the wing line up?

Can the wing still be adjusted up and down on the plate for trim, or does the mis alignment of the camband slots "force" a fixed wing position?

Blanket statements abut plates all being the same and any plate working (well) with any wing are simply wrong.

Tobin

It's even worse then, it means that dive rite is not compatible between models...

The plate, my friend had, had the holes at least 1.5 inch lower , so his bands were lower on his doubles and we could not borrow each other tanks (I have DSS). I have no issues swapping the tanks with the guys having halcyon

It's exactly this type of incomplete information that leads to grief.

Virtually all plates and all *doubles* wings will work fine, all you need is one set of holes in the center channel of the plate and the center panel of the wing @ 11" centers.

Most plates and most singles wings will work *If a Single Tank Adapter* is used, again one set of holes @11" centers is required.

OTOH if one wants to avoid using a STA, and there are good reasons to do so then it gets more complex.

Are the camband slots in the same place on the wing and plate?

Do the camband slots still line up when the holes in the center channel of the plate and the wing line up?

Can the wing still be adjusted up and down on the plate for trim, or does the mis alignment of the camband slots "force" a fixed wing position?

Blanket statements abut plates all being the same and any plate working (well) with any wing are simply wrong.

Tobin

I never said they were all the same, quite the opposite. I said I have never had a problem with compatibility. I was responding to Elan who was claiming that something could not happen I know for a fact can happen - an easily.

Why would one want to avoid using a single tank adpater?

It's even worse then, it means that dive rite is not compatible between models...

The plate, my friend had, had the holes at least 1.5 inch lower , so his bands were lower on his doubles and we could not borrow each other tanks (I have DSS). I have no issues swapping the tanks with the guys having halcyon

When you first resonded you said it was a halcyon plate with a dive rite wing. Now it is a dive rite plate on cam bands. Of course, the dive rite plate does not have a round hole at the bottom. It has an elongated hole which allows for variations. Perhaps the problem was that your friend just didn't set up his bands correctly.

Why would one want to avoid using a single tank adpater?

1. Cost

2. Extra parts

3. Additional tank offset from the divers back, ~1/2- 3/4" typical. This increases the overturning moment, and makes valve access more difficult.

4. Most divers will leave their wing bolted to their plate via the STA, this increases the chances of wing damage during transport storage or clean up.

5. Additional bulk and weight for travel

Tobin

When you first resonded you said it was a halcyon plate with a dive rite wing. Now it is a dive rite plate on cam bands. Of course, the dive rite plate does not have a round hole at the bottom. It has an elongated hole which allows for variations. Perhaps the problem was that your friend just didn't set up his bands correctly.

My mistake. Ignore the "cam" in "cam bands".

Back
Top Bottom